1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some tips on junk mail, telemarketing calls etc

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by maggieddd, Feb 16, 2006.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We send junk mail back to the sender in the prepaid envelope. We are on the "don't call" lists and don't receive telemarketing calls any more. However, when one does slip through, I calmly explain there is a $500 fee for doing business on this line. When the fee is paid, we can then take business calls. Stops 'em dead.

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The worst telemarketing ploy is a credit card company saying you have automatically been enrolled in some insurance policy for 30 days free of change, meaning you have to get a little nasty to tell them "No thanks". Should be outlawed.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Feb 16 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]210448[/snapback]</div>
    I use their pre stamped letters and send a pre printed note politely asking them to take me off their mailing list. We haven't received a credit card solicitation for over 2 years. I actually miss them cause I have pre printed notes ready to mail back and they've been sitting in my desk drawer collecting dust.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am on the "Do Not Call" list. There is a resort in the Chicagoland area that keeps calling. Their CallerID displays "awards verification." I would come home from work to sometimes find multiple calls throughout the day from them.

I answered it once out of curiosity and to tell them to stop calling and that since I've never done business with them in the past and we have no professional relationship they must stop calling.

Here's their pitch: "someone I know - a name I didn't recognize - recommended that they call me about this great offer they have." So that's the angle they're playing. It's not that they and I have ever interacted but rather that I was recommended to them. When I said that I did not know anyone by that name, the woman actually said that their computers sometimes get screwed up and they attribute the wrong names to one another. What a crock! So I told her 'no' and she said that she'll be sure to call back for verification. Again, crock!

I immediately when to the "do not call" website and reported it. I do not know if it had any impact, but after a few days the calls stopped. I can only hope that they realized their time is wasted with me.

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 16 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]210556[/snapback]</div>
    Ever hear of recycling?

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Im on the "Do not call "list but I still have to deal with some.
    I put a free Zapper tone on my land line and cell voice mails followed by my answer message.
    http://www.scn.org/~bk269/errorbeeps1.wav
    It tells dialing computers that your line is disconnected.I'll remove it eventually.
    Some computers are not fooled.If one gets through I ask them to take me off their call list.
    But some are recordings with no call back # (from political interests at election time).I havent figured out how to stop those yet.

7. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder how much petroleum is required to get that piece of mail back to the sender?

Remember a few years back when the war against SPAM was in full swing. They even had Congressional hearings on it. I find junk mail much more offensive due to the resources involved in creating and sending it.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When it comes to telemarketers, it's always a good time to evangelize, and let them know the good news :). They vanish pretty quickly. If I ever do get someone who wants to listen and receive, then another person is saved, but that hasn't happened yet ;)

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 3 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]434873[/snapback]</div>
    I use my shredded mail for my compost.

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 3 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]435004[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on the amount of print, it can be really good compost.