1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Somebody hit my car!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Sep 20, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    79000 miles rolled off the ODO today. I parked (neatly in the middle of a nice wide space) in the doctors lot and went in to work.

I return tonight, at 1am mind you, to find some a-hole has swiped my car...looks like they hit the right rear corner as they backed their car out. It pulled the bumper away at the wheel well a few centimeters. I was able to push that back in most of the way. There are deep gouges into the plastic of the bumper along the side of the rear bumper. It also damaged my splash guard a bit.

No note...of course. There's no way they didn't realize they hit me I don't think. Dang I wish I could remember who was parked there when I went in! Probably another physician too since it was in the physician's parking lot.

I'll get pix in the next couple days. I suspect I'll need to replace the entire bumper.:Cry:
    [​IMG]
    This next one you can sort of see where the bumper part is pulled out a bit...I can't get it all the way back in.
    [​IMG]

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is truly a sad sad story. Does your parking lot have cameras by any chance?

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had a similar thing happen to me once with the Tundra, but was fortunate that a business saw it and recorded the plate. Even with this information it took me awhile to track the person responsible down about 60 miles away. They ignored the police inquiry (and the city police said they couldn't do anything since they were out of jurisdiction.) However, the person quickly fessed up when I found out they also had a business and where the business was located--I had not been able to get the name of their car insurance and was going to file a claim against their business to apply pressure. Took me about 8 solid hours of sleuthing and phone calls over several days to pin it all down--I called all local insurers trying to find out who they were insured by, and one of the agents recognized the person as a local business owner.

If you get a paint color left on your car you might be able to check with body shops for anybody who has an estimate come in the next few days with your color and theirs on appropriate panel.

If you know who else parks in the lot well enough you might even figure out what car is missing that you usually see...

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What a bummer. That is really tacky that no one tried to find you, the owner. With it being a physicians parking, you would think they would be more careful, and want to do the right thing. I had someone ding my door on my 4Runner, well more like a dent, and of course, no note or anything. I feel your pain. I hope the repairs don't take too long.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear this Doc. Checking out if there is security cameras is a good idea. Better the culprit's insurance pays for it instead of your own.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nothing against you efusco but in my dealings with doctors I have found them amazingly cheap at times so if it was an MD I'm not surprised that there was no note. My dad was an aircraft mechanic (A&P and FAA Inspector) and many a time I went with him as a child to destroy used aircraft parts. The reason was that if you did not completely destroy them people would scavenge through the trash and try and save the worn out parts. If someone actually did this 9 times out of 10 if was an MD with $80000 plane (this was yeas ago) trying to save $100. We actually had one guy insists on trying to charge a completely dead battery set for hours and hours on a twin engine Piper rather than replace them. He got very angry when they were not charged up after 8 hours. Never mind the fact that the batteries were 15 years old....

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes, i'm sorry to hear that. i'd keep an eye out for cars in the parking lot that match your damage- if they work there, they kinda have to park there so it's not like our case where some random a-hole on the street just drove away to never be heard from again.

i'm glad the bumper was the only damage.

8. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hehe...good story....that reminds me of one. my brother is a CRNA and one day during a surgery, the physician doing the procedure was talking about a plumbing problem at his house and how much it cost to repair it. after he told the story and how much it cost, he said "boy am I in the wrong business!" :rolleyes:

9. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well in my book most doctors and NURSES are like angels. When your REALLY sick you appreciate those who are caring for you so much more. Years ago I was in an airplane accident and was in the burn unit of yale New Haven hospital. Even though it's more than 20 years ago I remember the doctors and nurses like it was yesterday. I could tell you alot of stories about how caring my doctors and nurses were but it would take up too much room.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr. Efusco- Very sorry to hear of your damage.

Same thing happened to my Prius when it was new and the wife had taken it to work one day and parked in the doctor's lot. She came out and some inconsiderate person had hit the rear bumper....no note of course. $600 later and my baby was like new again.

Just the cost of driving a car in today's society of people who increasingly seem to not take responsibility for their actions.

11. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry to hear that Evan. There are sleazy people in all professions. What goes around comes around. They'll get theirs sooner or later. Just proves they have no class.

Sometimes I just have to ask myself, "How important is it?" to put it into perspective when it comes to someone hurting my beloved car. Still makes me mad when I look at what someone did to my bumper in a BJ's parking lot though. (Sigh)

12. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if i had to guess the person driving the car was so old they did not even realize
    what they did. seen it too many times before in this greying state of NH.

driving down one ways the wrong way. backing up or pulling in and hitting curbs hard.
    so many cars here have dings they think it is Chicago now days and do not have to report
    it.

so that is my guess. an older person oblivious to their surroundings just trying to drive.

sorry about your problem. it is my worst fear with my prius. i am paranoid. it is still too
    new for that kind of nonsense.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does, I'm going to do a full report w/ the hospital security on Monday and they'll see what they can find...but apparently the cameras have been on the blink...all 63 of them.

In the light of day the damage isn't terrible (yea, I know, get the dang pix), but I'm still concerned about the piece being pulled away like it was and that it may not be very secure any more.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the damage this morning I could believe it if the driver didn't realize they hit me....a large car, music going or talking on the phone could easily not have realized the contact or if they noticed something may have thought they were just imagining it.

I bet someone has some blue paint on their bumper today and is wondering where it came from.

15. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Evan,

I see a potential silver lining: If they don't realize they did it, then they will park there again with the paint still on the bumper.

16. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey good thought! You should be detective, maybe you are?

17. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, too bad that happened to you. Some one hit my parked car in the train station a couple of months ago, but was nice enough to leave a note on my car. However, dealing with his insurance (USAA) was a pain in the bu**..

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah. Maybe you should take a few minutes to roam the lot looking for paint damage and a bit of your blue on someone's car/truck/SUV.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dude, sorry to hear. Would want me to take a walking tour of the lot for the next couple days looking for blue paint on a non-blue vehicle.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pix added to first post.
    I'm hopeful they can just buff and paint or something. I'll take it in next week to get an estimate.