1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Somebody please make me feel better ---UPDATE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auart, Sep 29, 2006.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

So I got the Toyota dealer to pay for my hood to be repainted when I found an imperfection in the paint... It is Black...
    I had it at the body shop for 3 days, and they told me they were removing the hood and stripping down and repainting a clear coating so it would be like new... The did that, and today when I go to get it, they had it parked outside near a paint booth, and the wind must have carried some primer mist over, and the guy that owns the Body Shop noticed it first... looks like a coat of dust..... that won't come off to the touch...
    Now I gotta carry it back on monday and they say it will come off without damaging the paint....
    I am skeptical now and really wish I hadn't started this mess.
    I have a brand new car, and a sick feeling in my stomach.
    The Body shop owner is a friend kind of, and a client of mine as well... He assured me he would get it right and I am sure he will, but I still feel sick about it.
    What would you do?

2. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    I feel your pain. Sorry this has happened to your new Prius. In the hopes of making you feel better, I'm sure they will be able to make it look as good as new, or at least I hope so. I'll be sure to keep my black baby as far as possible from body shop paint booths. Hope it works out for you, let us know.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be all ok. I am sorry for what happened to your baby. :( Hopefully they know what they are talking about.

Today I hit the front bumper on a curb (I was waiting for a friend at his apartment complex, and was looking for my phone to call him up. Apparently I wasn't pressing the brakes hard enough, my PRIA rolled and hit the curb... :unsure: Now there is a 1-2inch long, 1cm wide scratch mark on the bumper.

I picked up the car exactly a month ago.

I feel your pain...

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your black beauty is going to be just fine. That overspray should buff out without any trouble. Even if it doesn't, they screwed up and they should fix it. Either way, it's gonna be gorgeous. Relax.

Oh hey, welcome to the cult. :)

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It should clean right off without any problem. Surface wasn't preped for painting so it shouldn't stick. Could be worse - I was getting some welding work done on a new vehicle of mine (trailer towing) and when they had it in the shop someone used a grinder nearby and embedded steel in the rear window. It was stuck in the glass and rusted once it got rained on. Had to replace the window.

6. billyboy

billyboy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 29 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]325896[/snapback]</div>
    Years ago something similar happened to a buddy's newish car.

Friend and client not withstanding what happened borders on gross recklessness. Come on, you know that. I I doubt I woudl trust the same place to try again if they were that careless the first time. Anyhow, ask what kind of primer it was,adhesive, etc and if they have experince fixing this kind of problem. Then ask about a chemical bath and clay treatment. Instead of a body shop if the underlying paint job is fine, I would inquire at one of those super fancy car wash places that do expensive detailing. That's where my friend went and they did a great job I think for under $100. Of course you could ask your dealer who can get very specific advice directly from Toyota which would be my first choice.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This won't help with the sick feeling: But my advice is relax, at least for the time being. The body-shop owner has promised to make it right. No point in worrying until/unless he fails to keep his word.

It's a car. The damage is not structural, only cosmetic. And they're going to fix it.

Good luck, and yes, I do understand how you feel. But try to relax and wait until the body shop does its thing.

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know how you feel. I have a 2006 white Prius, and yesterday morning, driving under a railway overpass, some kind of black splotch hit my front window - it cleared right up when I used the windshield wipers/cleaner on it and I didn't think about it again, until I got home from work and noticed that there were black splotches all over the hood, fender and outside mirror - I was very upset. I took it to the hand-wash car wash over in the next town this morning - I was there while they were still setting up and was the first customer through - but they managed to get all those awful black marks off - WHEW! So my 'upset' was ony half a day.

But they're going to fix it, even if it means a few days, and then you'll feel as relieved as I do!

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i got construction overspray on my black prius a while back. i had it claybarred, the construction company eventually sent a check, the white spots were gone.

i didn't like the wax the place used, so the only work for me was putting my regular wax on the car.

10. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My advise... check the Zaino Bros. site. They sell excellent products including kits for just this problem. Use the claybar to remove any of the overspray, then use their polishes and you will end up with show car finish. No, I don't work for them. I recently used their products on my daughter's black 2002 Civic that had not been waxed in a couple of years, it took a couple of hours of work, but the car looks just about as good as when she picked it up. The claybar got rid of many of the swirls and buff marks and the polishes give a real depth to the finish.

Check out their site for more information, and good luck. It'll turn out fine!

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with everything the previous posters have said but would like to add one more thing: use this as a life-example of why we don't mix friends/clients/relatives and business.

I'm not casting stones as though I'm perfect. I've been there. Similar situation in which a friend kept having to promise to "make things right." Had I not been friends with this guy and valued his friendship, I would have taken it to someone who I felt was more competent and told the first guy that "making it right" means paying for the other person's work.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. Keep in mind, though, that it's only paint and primer. Considering the electronics and mechanics of the hybrid system, a little paint is nothing. It's a good thing you weren't there when we were installing my EV button. I was so concerned when things weren't going "as easy as anticipated" and because my dashboard was in pieces on my backseat I actually passed out from the stress that I had completely hosed my car. Thankfully, though pictures were taken that day, no one got that on film and everything worked out fine.

Chin up. :D

12. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

I had exactly the same thing happen to my new 4Runner a year or so ago - I was really upset at the time since I couldn't find the culprit and had to have it fixed myself. A local detailing shop took care of it for around $125. They said it happens all the time and is no big deal. My car came back good as new.

Hope this helps!

Mike

13. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stringmike @ Sep 30 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]326050[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Everybody for making me feel a little better for now.

I could not wait, so this morning I washed the whole car, and since a friend gave me a clay bar kit for my birthday..... I claybared the driver side only myself to see what would come off....I had to go over it 7 times and I THINK I got about 90% of it off that side.... Every time I walk by I see a tiny little speck and get the claybar back out and spray it and rub with the bar.... So after several hours going over every inch of that one side, I am really pissed off....
    And I am going to drop it off and let them do their job and get this all off...
    My main fear at this point is that they will use a buffer and get swirl marks real bad since it is black.
    By the way, I found a big spot on both fenders by the hood that looked like a buffer got down on them and dulled part of the fenders.... on both sides...So they have some work to do.....
    ALL of this is over simply repainting the hood for the dealer due to a blemish in the original paint.

I am sure they will eventually get it right, but here I just spent $25,000 on this car and it should be shiny and new and it is speckeled with tiny dots of primer, and has buffer rubbed dulled places on the front fenders.

I am just gonna have to survive till monday and take it back and hope they get it right.

Thanks !!

14. prius2go

prius2go Member

I had a spray shop do this some years back to my pride and joy.
    overspray lacquer from air vent

The glass was the worst, when it rained the wipers didnt know what to do with water in overspray.
    They eventually took my car back, stripped off the overspray, resprayed whole car but it came out dull.

Sold car to someone that didnt know any different :(

15. billyboy

billyboy Guest

Long time back I had a Olds 88. Liked the car except for one thing that drove me nuts. Had a plastic cover over the clock. Well it rattled and squeaked constantly every time you went over even the slightest bump in the road. Its like the old leaking bathroom faucet. Not a big problem but you end up listening for it.

Now if you think a slightly messed up paint job ruins your day, let me tell you my story. Back in the 60's got my first car, had no garage at the time so parked it in front of the house, located on a quite side street with little traffic. Car was new and only months old. At about 1:00AM I hear somebody pounding on the front door of the house. You kind of think your dreaming, then you get startled when you know you're awake and there's somebody pounding on your front door like crazy. So I get up, it was my neighbor who was sitting on their front porch with his wife. He didn't really have to say anything, he just pointed. Somebody had slammed into my little pride and joy head on and almost totalled it. We were the third house from the corner and this nut obviously made way too fast a turn and slammed right into my car. The kicker was it was a neighbor that lived down the block. He managed to free his car from mine then drove another 100 feet or so, left his smashed car with two flat front tires and went directly to bed. Didn't have the decenancy to face me or apparently care if my neighbors saw the whole thing. The police came and literally had to drag him out of bed to arrest him. He was drunk as a shunk. B)

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Clay bar will get a lot.

Polish with a dual action polisher will take care of the rest. That's probably what the body shop would do....detail the car.

17. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 30 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]326176[/snapback]</div>

Yea, the Body Shop said....Polish or Wax will get it off.... I am just afraid of them leaving real bad swirl marks since the paint is Black...Black shows everything!
    They want me to bring it back to them tomorrow..... I still feel sick..

18. SiliconAddict

SiliconAddict New Member

I know it sounds cold but rule #1 in business is NEVER do person business with your clients. If things like this happen it makes things very awkward. the tax prep company my mom works for has a client that also does their IT work. They do a poor job which is a kind statement to say the least. But what can they do? They are friends and clients.
    Again its a really good practice to sept the two.

19. filless

filless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 29 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]325896[/snapback]</div>
    <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(filless @ Oct 2 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]327003[/snapback]</div>
    please note this experiance: I spray painted a small piece of metal in my garage with a 2005 prius and
    a 66 mustang about 10 feet away, maybe a 5 sec shot of paint. Did'nt notice anything until the next wash and
    yes there was over spray all over the prius but not the mustang. I belive the prius is like an electonic magnet
    to dust and particles. We had xzilon coating applied when pruchased and they removed it with the claybar
    FILLESS

20. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My white 06 needed a new bumper and passenger door repaint after only 2 weks (freeway furniture). The body shop got light white overspray on the black window/door frames. I polished it out myself with Meguier's cleaner polish. Taking it back was just too much hassle, so I was able to remove all the overspray myself. No big deal. They should fix your car good as new.