1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

somebody sell me on the Prius....please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pjam, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So is the Nissan Versa, and the Kia Optima....:D

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They don't have standard features like Smart Key with Push Start Button and touch tracer. I am not even sure if they come with A/C and power window.

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    or auto climate control, or 4 auto up/down windows, or mag wheels, or 4 wheel disc brakes, etc, etc

REV

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The use of the term 'Econobox" is probably just unfortunate. Econobox has very negative connotations attached.

Usually small, cheaply made vehicles.

I think you can argue that Prius is designed for function..thus closer to a "utility" vehicle.

But how you perceive The Prius probably has a lot to do with what you are used to owning or coming from.

I'll tell you, my last vehicle was a nicely equipped for it's time 1993 Accord...The Prius in even it's most Spartan form, seemed like a luxury vehicle in comparison, simply by the ossmosis of advancement and build...let alone the gadgets and perks of Prius technology.

I personally wouldn't call Prius an "Econobox" but I suppose if you are used to very high end luxury of sports vehicles then Prius's ultimate utility could lead you to applying the term.

But IMO Econobox, is much more simply an almost disposable small vehicle...like a Kia Rio, or Yaris...

The automotive industry as a whole has raised the bar. The "Econobox" as I would personally define it, IMO doesn't even really exist today. Even sub-compacts such as The Fit, The Festiva have come to offer features and comforts that never existed in the class.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just be glad you don't have Coach's wife. LMAO. :D

I was talking to my uncle 2 days ago. He's giving me 2 26" LCD TVs to clear out his space. He kept telling me "bring your Prius but you'll have to fold down your back seats" and "you (and your family) will have to take 2 cars." I emailed him back and was like, "HELLO? They're 26" TVs. Either the TVs are bigger than you're saying or you underestimate my trunk space." Well apparently he didn't think the Prius had a trunk. He was really pissing me off, and he rarely does that.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Nissan Versa is definitely a compact, not a midsize. Modern examples of econoboxes are probably best found in this list of affordable small cars:
    Best Affordable Small Cars - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

Conversely, the Prius (tied at #2) and Optima (#11) are in this list of midsize cars:
    a Best Affordable Midsize Cars - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

What I like about the Prius is the leg room in the back. It has similar room than my 1999 Subaru Outback, and that wasn't shabby compared to its peers in the wagon category (definitely more room than the Subaru Forester). It has more trunk space than a Ford Fusion (both normal and hybrid versions). With the hatchback design and foldable rear seats, the Prius can haul full-size bicycles, a 46" TV (lying flat in the box), 8' lumber, etc.

These are very spacious compared to the original econoboxes that came out in the 70's. Those cars were true low-cost cars, with no power windows, power steering, or power brakes, engine displacement under 1.4 liters (under 80 horses), no right-hand side mirror, automatic was extra, A/C was extra (if even available, I don't know). Insulation was very minimal, it was pretty drafty in MN/ND winters. We didn't even know about cupholders then. But they were the first to popularize FWD and handled well in the snow & ice and delivered over 30 mpg on the highway.

7. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I didn't expect when I first got the Prius is that watching the fuel economy numbers becomes its own game. Every time I go for a drive, I try to raise my average, or on a good day, get a personal best for the trip. It's almost too distracting. I thought I would lose the driving fun that I had with some previous cars, but it wasn't that way at all, just an entirely different kind of fun.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Per Side-by-Side Comparison, the 2010 Versas I picked all came up as midsized cars.
    There's no such thing as a V4 Civic. They have inline 4 cylinder engines and aren't in a V configuration. In glancing thru car specs for >15 years, I've never seen a passenger car sold in the US w/a V4 engine.
    Some people have different notions of "econobox". I'd never seen the wikipedia entry until today but I still consider Corollas, Civics and Versas to be econoboxes as I would the Chevy Cruze. Some econoboxes have all are almost all of the above available as options nowadays.

In the US, econoboxes only have 4-cylinder engines, or less, don't have much power, aren't particularly quiet, aren't luxurious on the inside and don't have a really soft, luxury car-like ride. I'd say the 2nd gen Prius fits all of these but I wouldn't say it is fully in that realm due to it having features that were uncommon in econoboxes of the time and being a midsized car. Most econoboxes are classified by the EPA as compacts or subcompacts.

I think the OP really needs to specify what's important to them. If fuel economy is important but they want something larger on the outside (not necessarily larger on the inside or w/more cargo room), they can look at lists like http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm, Best & worst cars review, best city/highway mpg and Best & worst cars review, fuel-efficient vehicles.

9. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because that's what econobox means. A cheap (and cheaply made) small vehicle.
    I'm an engineer, so in form vs. function I allowed function to win me over, I wasn't enamored with the form of the Prius, but I knew the shape was aerodynamic and the hatchback allowed versatility.
    That's more a matter of getting spoiled and not being in touch with what the average consumer drives. It's not a luxury car, but it still doesn't belong in the econobox category by any means. SKS, touch screen, available built-in Nav, bluetooth, 21 cubic feet of trunk space, and it hands you money back at every fill-up.
    Totally agree. I'm still not used to using the right-hand side mirror on a regular basis, because I grew up without having that option. Let alone airbags, automatic transmission, reclining seats, A/C standard, etc.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please tell this to my uncle who doesnt think 2 side-by-side 26" TVs laying flat will fit in my trunk! :D

11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I assume you own a 2010 Prius and you're really just asking if Prius is the best technology available? Though "technology" is a broad-based concept, based on what you said about your experience with other vehicles, sounds like you have enough information to make that decision. As for me, I'm interested in Prius because of MPG, emissions and regeneration technology, but not handling/peformance technology. There are tons of other cars that outperform Prius in the 0-60 and handling categories. And there are tons of other cars that beat Prius in the luxury, quiet categories.

I suppose all this rhetoric can be summarized by saying, "Prius benefits are in the eye of the beholder." And right now, Prius is the apple of my eye!

12. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dogs approve it, that's all that matters to me

13. Blackmamba

Blackmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogs are not environmentally friendly. If you need the comfort, take something.

14. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I came to the Prius from an Audi RS4, and am a car guy too. I don't regret the decision.

Maybe econobox is too harsh since that has very negative connotations. I'd consider it a commuting appliance. Appliance is a better metaphor, like a washing machine. My old Maytag washes my clothes very well and reliably, with little fanfare or excitement as it's coming to the close of it's second decade of service. When I hear "car", I think of things like accelerating when you press the pedal, changing direction when you turn the wheel, and making the passengers go "whoa!". The Prius does these things too, but it's just not the same as a "car" somehow, and without the exclamations. Plus, it's ugly. Sorry, it just is.

It's a hyper-focused design. The focus is on commuting, running errands, getting groceries, etc. and with low operating costs. It does this (job) better than any other car on the market. Of course, it does all the other car-stuff poorly. Power is adequate for the job, in the same way an elevator has adequate power. Handing will get you to the food store without hitting a tree. It steers; my old RS4 handled.

If you want to dig a hole, you use a John Deere backhoe. If you want to get around, you use a Prius.

That said, I got a IV model with sunroof so I'd at least be a little entertained. I drive one hour each way every day for total of 100 miles just getting to work. I wanted something inexpensive to run and maintain.

I still don't get a few things in it. They advertise a bunch of features, but I just don't get it.

• Touch tracer display. Clever, the first time you see it, then you realize it's a waste.
    • Plasmacluster air thingy. You turn it on, a light lights up, then it turns itself off a minute later. Whatever. It has a filter.
    • Hill start assist. Not sure why this is so great on a car without a clutch pedal. Maybe for people who lost a leg.
    • Power/Normal/Eco. I know it feels faster in power mode, but it's just the car applying more throttle for you. Psychology I guess. I don't have a problem pressing the pedal farther when I want more acceleration.
    • EV mode. Would be great, but in it's implementation, it's kinda useless. Useful for backing out of the garage for a wash, but that's about it.

Despite all this, the Prius does have a few nice surprises / features.

With the 15" wheels, tires are cheap, even for very good tires.
    There are no belts on the engine, so none to break or replace.
    The all-electric AC works very well, even in 105+F heat. Window tint helps. You don't get that dropoff in performance at idle. It keeps right on blasting at 100%, since it's independent from the engine speed (compressor and fans).
    The back seat is fully usable by adults. It's a mid-size, not a compact. This surprises alot of people.

15. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That.

16. pjam

pjam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm convinced! Let's see if the dealer will play nicely. just emailed them for the 20th time or so with my request.

***Let me ask one final question - what sort of longevity can I expect from a daily use Prius? ie, how long will this car last. I'm not concerned about the battery. okay, some day I may need to replace the battery, but it would see a motor that is off/on frequently may wear more? discounting the taxi cos. what are they capable of in a "normal" environment?

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It does not experience cold starts so the wear is less.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just take care of it and it will take care of you. It is a Toyota. But there is no crystal ball.

19. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You skipped a step. Rent one for a week. It's only about $260.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A normal engine gets spun to a 100rpm by the alternator before it gets fired up. In the Prius, the engine gets spun to 1,000rpm by the MG1 before being fired up so it's already spinning at idle. There's less wear (and a smoother start-up).

1 person likes this.