1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Somebody Stop Me! (from buying CT200h)

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Mar 30, 2011.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

generally if you wait for 5 years and get last of the CT200h just after next gen CT200h is announced, you should get a heck of a deal

:)

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll bet that would work well for computers too!

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that doesn't stop you nothing will. The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind :_>

4. Honeycombe

Honeycombe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As for current pricing of the CT200h, forget about MSRP! Some dealers, I've read, are charging a "dealer fee." There is much more demand for the car than there are cars, because of the Tsunami. BEFORE the Tsunami, the car was selling for MSRP, or maybe a few hundred off if you were lucky. After the Tsunami, forgeddaboudit.

As for the plug-in, I read it here:
    High-performace, plug-in hybrid Lexus CT 200h planned, compact Lexus SUV in the works | CT200h Chat

It's also discussed in various threads in
    CT200h Forum : Lexus CT200H Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Of course, WHEN in 2012 it comes out, who knows? We'll probably know more later this year. And of course, the Tsunami may have changed those plans. If there's not one planned for 2012, then I'll buy the CT non-plugin.

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I googled it last night and found a version that seems to indicate a plug in AFTER 2012. Hard telling. Haven't seen any phony markups, but haven't really pushed it that far. Trying to talk myself into a low end version to make it more palatable. Wasn't real thrilled with the mousey thing or the recessed screen anyway.

6. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Are aftermarket seats, shocks and wheels for the Prius out of the question ?

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...e-springs-new-wheels-installed-whiteprius.jpg

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been laying low, since I didn't want to continue to dither in public until I had made up my mind. I took another too brief test drive. The stars are out of my eyes, but I may still buy or lease one. Due to the higher than expected demand, and the earthquake delays, there is now a 3 month waiting list, or 4 to 6 months if you special order. People are suddenly getting religion again about low mpg cars, and there aren't that many luxury options for them. If I go ahead, I may lease, so I can invest the cash from a sale of the Prius, and flip the CT in 3 years. I also still need to decide whether to go high end or low end. I just don't like the mouse controller for the nav, but I can't get PCS without getting nav. Of course, getting PCS automatically means a long wait for a special order.

I've let some air out of my Prius tires and am now tending to use my wife's Camry for weekend driving. I'm considering replacing my Prius wheels with 15" inch wheels and regular profile tires, and getting some cushy seat padding. I'm not sure that will really satisfy me at this point. I'm also considering waiting to see what the new hybrid Camry looks like, but I sorta want at least one car in the stable that's capable of hauling larger items. on the other hand, a fully loaded hycam is a bargain compared to CT. I could also wait to see what price they put on the electric RAV4, but the early demos sure make it sound like it ain't ready for prime time yet.

9. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife has gotten quite good at using that little mousy think in her HS! She's not very technologically oriented, so it must be pretty intuitive once you get used to it.

To bad we're not closer, I've been considering 17" wheels on my Prius, we could have swapped for a week and see what we thought before committing to a purchase!

I have not test drove the CT, but if it rides anything like the HS, it's a vast improvement in ride quality and quietness. Hitting a pothole (which my wife has no problems with either) sounds like an isolated thud in the HS, the same pothole in the Prius rattles everything in the car!

10. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you can get it cheaper from salvage yards just like how people here get cheap traction batteries from those places.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for commenting. I guess I could get used to the mouse, but I don't understand why Lexus thinks it's a luxury item. Simple touch screen seems better to me.

Yeah, too bad. I'd like to try changing wheels with someone, just to see what it did to the ride, handling and MPG.

Test drove the HS the other day too. Wife liked it, because she likes sitting up higher. Driving smaller cars like the CT makes her nervous on busy Houston freeways. Camry seems like a better value to me. Not sure if or how the HS is any better than Camry, which also absorbs potholes pretty well. The HS ride was stiffer than I expected. Somewhat similar to CT ride, but CT seemed more pliant (less vibration) and planted. The low center of gravity really affects one's perception of handling in the CT.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The idea of the controller (other than the fact that all of Lexus rivals have one - MMI, iDrive, certain COMAND models) is that the screen can be further away and closer to the driver's line-of-sight.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And not get greasy fingerprints all over it? :D

Moving the screen further away may not be the best idea for those of us with aging eyes...

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We test drove the Camry Hybrid as well, and I would have been happy with it. Where I screwed up was taking my wife to the Lexus lot to drive the HS before going to the Toyota lot! There's really no comparing the interior and ride quality of a Lexus to the Toyota!

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But it has a bigger screen (8" vs 7"). I guess that's still not big enough for you.

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Disclaimer - I haven't actually driven a CT with nav, just sat in one. I could see the screen fine, as long as the driver's seat was cranked up high enough, but I still felt like I was having to peer around a corner at it, due to the way they embedded the screen in the dash. As others have pointed out, the resolution "seems" better than on the gen III prius. However, I'm not sure the line of sight (i.e., keeping your eyes onthe road) is really any better on the CT than on my Prius or my Camry.

17. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I say "Go for it!" I wanted the room but I was very careful not to tell hubby about the Lexus. He would have insisted, I'm afraid. He thinks the Prius is way too spartan. Of course, he is a BMW kind of guy. His cars feel like you are sitting in your living room.

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was at the Lexus dealership Wednesday looking to maybe add a CT to the family. Well, there is a waiting list and if the dealership only has 1, it is a demo. If your dealership is lucky enough to have more before the stock ran out, then you have a chance. But nobody in the state or neighbouring states have one for sale, only demoing.

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've looked in Houston and Omaha. Pretty much looking like a 3 month waiting list everywhere. 4 to 6 months if you want to special order. Due to low % being produced with nav, and even lower % with PCS (requires Nav), special order may be the only practical way to go for people that want those options.

My Houston dealer said lexus expects to pretty much run out of all models, other than some really low demand ones, during May, June, July. Salespeople are being told to plan on taking vacations then, even though summer months are usually the hot sales period. Lots of uncertainties about supplies of accessories and options.

My last test drive was a pre-sold car whose owner had negotiated a lower price in exchange for allowing limited short trip test drives.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough. It would help with the glare from the sun if the moonroof sunshade is retracted. It's impossible to see the screen in the current location and I have to close the sunshade to use the screen.

Looking right is still better than looking right and down I would think...