1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

someone bleached my car, windshield cleaning tip?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by scottwyden, Apr 1, 2010.

1. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This could work. A few weeks back I parked in an underground parking garage and something leaked through the concrete ceiling on my windshield. I tired everything from every kind of window cleaner and paint remover to even that light abrasive white polishing compound. Nothing would touch the stain. Now don't laugh but someone suggested this stuff called "Bar Keepers Friend". It comes in a container like Comet or Ajax cleanser. It looks like cleanser too. But this is finer and he told me it wouldn't scratch my windshield. I was apprehensive at first but couldn't stand looking through this stain everytime I drove the car. I added a little water to some of this stuff and made a paste then picked a spot out of my direct line of sight and tried it out with a soft towel. I rubbed lightly at first and then as I could see it was working a little harder. To my amazement it cleaned the stain right off. This after I was told by everyone who say it that the windshield was etched and the only way was to replace it. It looked so good I did the whole windshield. You've got nothing to loose so why not give it a try. Remember cleanser will scratch it. What you want is "Bar Keepers Friend". Got mine at what I would consider a well stocked, what you could call, an upscale grocery store. Good luck. Be sure to let us know if it works. Rick

1 person likes this.
  2. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The IV model has the water-repellent side windows.. but is there something on the front windshield?

I tried the wax and it didn't work. I tried the chrome polish but it didn't work either.

It actually feels like a layer of something was removed

3. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Rick, I will look into it!

4. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear that. Sh** that sucks.

5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about your car Scott. I don't understand why pol do stuff like that. At my apartmet complex it looked like there was orange juice poured on the passenger side. Ok went to the car wash end of story. Then there was what appeared to be tobacco spit. So I washed it off. Then AGAIN there was tobacco spit. At that poit I just got a garage at my apartment complex. My office required badge access to get in. This is not comforting by any means but if this happened once it may happen again so if there is some way of parking elsewhere or getting a garage you may want to do so.

6. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately I'm in a condo complex that charges way too much for it's monthly fees and has absolutely no security.

7. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    As I told you, Fantastik cleaner (and many others) warns against using it on glass or mirrors. Why don't you call them and ask what you could try to counteract someone having dumped some cleaner on your windshield. I am sure they have been asked before.

8. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried Bar Keepers Friend in a corner of the windshield but it didn't help. The insurance claim is going to happen because Safelite charges $1300 plus tax for the windshield. OUCH

9. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry the Bar Keepers Friend didn't work. After it saved me from buying a new windshield I really thought it would help you out. Good luck.

10. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the help

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The windshield also appears to be coated with RainX.

12. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I never used Rainx on my windshield but I know the side windows have the rain shield.. I'm assuming the windshield does too because it's so expensive.

13. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I often see other Prius with large stains on them. Sometimes it looks to me like someone has intentionally thrown a chocolate milkshake or paint on them. I can't help but wonder if the deisel-lovin', truck-liftin', inlaw-breedin' people out there intentionally target the Prius.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of "urban trend" amongst the Priushaters to encourage others of similar mind to damage our cars? Sarah Palin's recent remarks about asking drivers with the Obama bumper stickers how the "hopey-changey thing was working out" on Subarus isn't helping matters as so many Prius seem to have Obama stickers on them. (And most of those who follow her probably can't tell the difference between any foreign car makes.) Still, I'm REALLY glad she used Subaru instead of the Toyota Prius in her statement!

14. marshac

marshac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you tried a glass scrub on the windows? I use it to get off hard water spots- it works when nothing else does, although it does take some work.

15. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  16. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ex perhaps ?

17. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nope. I don't know anyone with a grudge

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't need to know them if you're on the news.

19. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I said before, no one would have a reason to target me just because I was on the news when I said nothing wrong. And if someone did because of that karma is a b*tch

20. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Man, what color is the sky in that world you live in? "I said nothing wrong!" I have no idea what you said, but if you said anything at all, there is someone, somewhere, that will find it offensive, insulting or "wrong".

One reason I do not speak to the media. I don't need my 15 minutes.