1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

someone bleached my car, windshield cleaning tip?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by scottwyden, Apr 1, 2010.

1. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't live my life paranoid. That wouldn't be a good life.

The insurance adjuster just came to look at the windshield. They are approving the claim. Just awaiting on quotes and a check

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Great! I hope you enjoyed the spotlight and the attendant PIA that might have resulted from it. I live a very good life and I only go on television when my job absolutely requires it. They are not my friends and what turns them on is not on my agenda at all.

3. Sp33dy_gr33n

Sp33dy_gr33n New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used Liquid Plumber drain cleaner last night, and that stuff smells like bleach.

4. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was it white?

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Scott, I think the spot you did in the video was great. I'm sorry to hear about your car. I sincerely doubt that the two are related. People do random and stupid things all the time. It might have been because your car is a Prius and some jerk doesn't like it or perhaps someone threw something out of the window of their car and it happened to land on yours. Perhaps some kids were out and one of them said, "hey watch this." The fact is that you will never know.

I hope the insurance is fair and the repairs are good.

6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like Soft Scrub with Bleach, which is a bit abrasive. Ingredients don't look car friendly to me. Glad the insurance is getting you sorted out.

- D

7. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks guys. The written quotes I got from Safelite and Toyota were both just under $700.

8. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the paint is ok b/c you took it to the car wash, but the windshield will be swapped out ?

9. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea the paint is ok. Whatever it was just removed my wax.

Note to self: always keep car waxed :)

I have a mobile detailer coming today to look. He said he won't charge me if he can't get it off. If he does then I save the deductible. Otherwise yes, the windshield is being swapped out.

10. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scott, would you mind posting the link again to the photos that showed the windshield after it was washed.

11. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I never posted photos of it after the car was washed. It's not simple to catch. It has to be down pouring and the wipers must be on for it to show itself. Maybe tonight when it gets dark I will soak the windshield to take pictures.

12. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a video I just made.. it's so hard to capture it. I'll have to get it from the inside one day while it's raining.

If you look closely right after I wipe you see the stain remain on the windshield. When the entire windshield is wet it's a giant blur.

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know it could be more money spent on top of what may be the inevitable (that is, replacing the windshield) but I'd try polishing the hell out of it and then applying rain-x. I think afterwards it is something that would either be unnoticeable or so hardly noticeable if not trying to look for it that it'd be worth saving the deductible...

Both Glass Polishes - Cleaners - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

or

Rain-X®: Xtreme Clean TM

And then Rain-X® Original Glass Treatment?The Invisible Windshield Wiper

14. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scott, your description seems a lot worse than what I see in that video. If your insurance adjuster allowed replacement, then it must be bad but the video did not look that bad. Any chance you can wait a few months and see what happens with the blur?

15. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is bad. As I said, it's easy to see in the rain. Not easy to see when it's dry. When it's raining and the wipers are going the entire driver side of the windshield is blurry

16. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, this is the classic example of why the term.......HANG EM BY THE THUMBNAILS is so true.

sorry to hear about this grief. gosh, i hope it all gets fixed.

17. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scot, glass is pretty tough stuff. It should be bleach resistant enough to survive what looks to be bleach toilet bowl cleaner or something like soft scrub (the latter of which is not a half bad window cleaner, if used appropriately). Your clearcoat is more likely to show wear effects from these products--so, if the paint is ok, the glass certainly ought to be.

The windshield should not be treated with any factory water repellent, just the driver & passenger side windows. Any surface treatment on the front would be subject to the abrasive action of the wipers and any road dirt that is present. A coating would have to be very hard to resist that and an organic water repellent shouldn't fare too well; hence, they are not used on the windshields.

A possibility is that the bleach cleaner did a really good job cleaning your windshield where it was coated and what you are seeing is the difference. It doesn't take long for road dirt and oils to form a thin film on a windshield that it looks clean after Windex (or whatever) but is really not--completely so. Try giving the rest of the windshield a real good clean with something like bon ami glass cleaner or sparkle.

When you blurry, what do you mean? Is it because the water is wetting the windshield differently? Water usually obscures imperfections, they are easier to see dry at low angles.

You wiper blades may have taken a hit, though, if the cleaner pooled on them; prolonged exposure to the bleach (which is not very strong in these types of cleaners) may have prematurely aged them.

18. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a detailer try to get it out yesterday. He had no luck as well. I have no other options but to replace the windshield.

19. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know how you feel about having it pristine, i have been driving around with a 4 inch dent for a few weeks now, someone bumpered my door and took off. Good luck with the repair. keep us posted

20. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh I totally feel your pain on that one. The lovely Jersey pot holes and the way that they get filled with gravel that just right up and bites the side of the car. Left me with a nice dent too. I was able to clean it and what not but I can still see it HA.

If the windshield problem didn't make it hard to see in rain I wouldn't touch it