1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone put transmission fluid in Inverter tank!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dpeverhart, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had to have the electric water pump changed recently and discovered that the previous owner or his mechanic put transmission fluid in the inverter tank. What is the best way to make sure we get it all and possibly save the inverter? I'm assuming we do a flush (or several). Maybe change the inverter coolant hoses as well?

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have experience with this. Independent Prius Mechanic recco / Torrance CA? | PriusChat

You have a long way ahead .

The hoses usually start to swell and sweat. You need to flush and keep flushing until you no longer get oil coming out. When you think you got all the oil out, keep flushing. Many technicians will run Cascade dish washing detergent through the system to help remove the oil. You might do this a few times then switch to water to get that out. After all that, replace all the hoses.

That is what I would do. If you choose to do it, it will be at your own risk. I will assume no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Good luck,

Avi

3. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a flushing procedure or do I just drain, fill, bleed, repeat?

4. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I flushed multiple times, alternating between a mix of water/cascade and just water then several final flushes with water only and the last flush distilled water only. Finally I refilled and bled with Toyota coolant mixed with distilled water, then did the exhausting bleed process. Drove for a few miles and let it sit and found a skim coat of foam (Trans oil/coolant mix) at top of coolant tank. I'm done for today, I'll start the whole process again tomorrow and I think I can get rid of the foam. Once I have it good and clean I will replace the hoses and refill the system and hope there are no long term problems with the inverter.

What's amazing to me is that the inverter cooling system was approximately 80% transmission oil 20% coolant. The coolant being what we added last week when changing the electric coolant pump. It was actually driven about 1000 miles with 100% transmission fluid in the inverter cooling system with a bad coolant pump and did not overheat.