1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone scratched my new Prius Three

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Vasyliy Melnyk, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Vasyliy,

I've worked in the Lexus detailing department for quite a few years while I was in college. In general, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernails, it is not something you can buff out. Also, If you try to buff it out, you will be cutting down on the thickness of the clearcoat in the surrounding areas and risk burning thru to the paint layer for something this deep.

From the sounds of it, I don't think you'll be happy unless it is 100% perfect, and only the body shop can make it back to perfect. I'm super anal about my car too and if I had your scratch, I would probably just suck it up (I know it's difficult!) and apply clear coat to it. I remember some of the Lexus touch-up pens had one side of color applicator and the other side had a clear coat applicator. After you fill it in a few times it won't be back to normal but will be the best you can do unless you want to spend a few hundred for repainting.

We have never used any scratch doctor type of products on any of the cars with success.

Good luck

2. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wait until you have multiple scratches. then file the claim. Also, the second and third scratch don't really hurt that much.... YOU should look at my Ford F150 2004 with 200k on the clock.

There is not one straight panel on the truck. the car cosmetically is probably a 2 out of ten. But it runs strong and everyone steers clear of it. My Prius is probably the opposite in every way.

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That'll need to be touched up.

Watch the techniques in this video:

You can buy the paint from the dealer, but you'll need to get the other items from applied colors.