1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone stole my wheel locks!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Deleted member 137491, Jun 13, 2015.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP said the locks are missing, why would she need the key?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But if the picture is from her car then nothing has been stolen. And she just needs to have the key to get the wheel off when it’s needed.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This seems the most likely scenario. Someone commenced to steal your wheels, by dealing with the toughest part first: removal of the locking nuts. Either they were interrupted, or they changed their minds, or they got winded, lol.

Seriously, they might be back. Since the locking nuts don't seem to be much deterrence, maybe get four replacement regular nuts in the interim, AND be cognizant, keep a phone very handy, consider alternate parking for a while, leave lights on, whatever you can do.

<Sorry, typo above changed, from "lug" to "locking", in red>

#23 Mendel Leisk, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Deleted member 137491 likes this.
  4. OK I will follow your advices guys. I really really hope they don't come back for everything else! I def won't be smiling then :'(

Can you tell me, what do I use the top tool for? It looks so weird LOL!

51810506151123215.jpg

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that screws onto the jack. then you hook the end of the handle (bottom item in pic) through it and crank up the jack. it acts as a hinge. if you plan to change your own flat if needed, you should do it once, in the comfort of your own garage, or other flat area. middle item is lug wrench, loosen them before jacking the tyre off the ground. you may need a breaker bar for leverage. 2 feet of steel pipe that will slip over the lug wrench.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you're missing is a locking lug nut cap, and it need not have been stolen.
    It may very well have just come off on its own since the car is seven years old.
    People that live in high crime areas use them to dissuade the stupid and lazy from stealing their rims.
    You can probably go to the nearest auto parts store and get a replacement - but this isn't your biggest problem right now.

Judging from your post, you live in a city and you haven't had your car for very long.
    That's OK, but you need to find the key that goes to your lug nuts and make sure that it's in your car. Otherwise you're likely to have a little trouble getting the wheel off of your car when your car suffers from a flat tire.

Goof Luck!

#26 ETC(SS), Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    valde3 and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point. maybe they just wanted them for their own car.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're missing the locking nut socket, and the thieves removed your locking nuts, they've done you a big favour. :)

9. Hopefully this is my last question but if I understand everything so far then....

The 4 remaining "screws" in my pic from my 1st post are only regular lug nuts that I can buy anywhere including a Toyota dealership.

If I buy these locking lug nuts then I can put 1 on each of the missing areas:

(The forum won't let me quote a link yet :mad: )

Buying this will hopefully prevent any thief from removing my tires and stuff right?

But if I buy a regular lug nuts and put it in the missing areas then all my tires will still be compromised?

Sally <3

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's debatable. Locking nuts ARE an extra hassle (albeit not much of one) for owners too. They're more expensive. And as your case points out, didn't slow the thieves down by much.

When buying replacement nuts, either locking or regular, I'd go through the dealership parts department if at all possible. There are different "seat" styles on different nuts, not to mention threads, diameters. If gen 2 nuts are similar to 3, the nuts are kinda special, with a captured washer that seats on a flat surface on the alloy. AND it has a "seat" style suitable for use with the temporary spare.

In short, better get them from Toyota.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I lived in a larger town, I had on-street parking, so the driver's side of my car was always clearly visible to the street, and the passenger side could be a bit hidden. One morning I came down to the car to leave for work and thought the passenger side key slot was just a shade wider than I remembered. I made a mental note.

A week or two later, I came down in the morning and the same key slot seemed even just a little bit wider than before. Hmm, I thought.

I never let myself in by the passenger side key slot anyway, so I stopped at an electrical supply house, and then just took the passenger side lock cylinder right out of the door and replaced it with one of these:
    [​IMG]
    It looked perfectly nice on the car, and the one thing I regret is that I wasn't nearby in the shrubbery to see when my very patient car burglar came back the third time.

The top one is your towing eye. If you look at your front bumper (maybe the rear one too), there should be a small panel a bit larger than a postage stamp somewhere, that is the same color plastic but can be popped out. Behind it there will be a threaded hole that fits that towing eye, and is located in a structurally strong part of the car. It is not made for regular down-the-road towing, but more for if your car has gone in a ditch and you need a convenient place to attach a strap to pull you out. You should see a mention of it in your owner's manual.

It works better if you also have one of those upside-down bumper stickers saying "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, FLIP ME OVER".

-Chap

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The OP's picture shows the wheel lock. Need key to remove.

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OP should answer to the question. Is the picture from her car or not? If it is nothing is stolen. She just needs the key for those locknuts. Which is probably somewhere in the car.

For some weird reason everybody seems to think that the lock nut itself is stolen.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, there's the thread title, lol.

I think that's the case, she's having troubles posting pics. Except, she posted a pic.

15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    geeeez so much debate over nothing :confused:
    the locking nuts are GONE...so theres no need to worry about the key lug nut.:mad:

the missing nuts can be replaced with a new set of locks that will come with a new key OR a standard set of lug nuts best bought from a Toyota dealer(y)..

and with that Im going to hope in the shower and clean the lint from my belly button then take a nap by the pool:sleep:

16. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Once here was a topic where OP was asking why the door doesn’t open from the inside. I (and many others) told that check that child safety isn’t on. OP told it’s not. But in the end it still was.

In the pick she posted the lock nut is in its place.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Read her initial post right through. She points with an arrow at the lock nut in "the" picture and says "this is what they stole". I'm not clear either, but my take is that's a stock photo, not her car, and she's just trying to clarify it's the lock nut that's gone missing.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also got the impression that the pic posted wasn't from her car.

I'll say again, it's highly unlikely that someone would steal just 4 wheel locks. They are pretty difficult to remove without the key after all. ;)

At this point, we don't even know if the car ever had wheel locks installed. The OP can't find any key for them etc. :rolleyes:

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this thread is a test of willpower and determination.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The wheel locks linked are the correct type, with the proper thread pitch and flat, mag type seat with the captive washer.

I have similar sets from the same manufacturer on both of my cars.