1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone tried to break in my 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gliderman, Dec 24, 2018.

1. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Someone tried to break in my 2010 and didn't try real hard but managed to screw up my mechanical door lock.

I dont know when or where because I almost never use the key. But the fob was letting me down and so I tried my key and it wouldnt go into the lock. Fortunately I was at home and had a spare battery.

Then I looked and the lock cover was all bent. Sorry no pics. But I found a great tutorial on Gen 2 locks which are the same as my Gen 3 and it saved my bacon. This is a great reference and I got it here on PriusChat under Gen 4: Prius door lock

Long story short whoever tried to break in used a screwdriver or something and bent the first pin. After I disassembled the lock using the directions in the link, I was able to bend the pin(actually stamped plate) back in line and with a little sanding got it to move freely in the lock.

The outer cover on the lock is really not that hard to get off. I didnt use a vise I just levered it off with a screwdriver. The only thing is all the pins fall out at once so you will have to put the puzzle back together and it takes time. But it is easy to figure out. I used tape to hold the pins in while I did one side and then flipped it over to put the other pins in. The directions in the above link are good. And Toyota actually made this one easy!

4est and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bummer! Well done!(y)