1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

someone with a 4 non touring spare question

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lohikaarme, Oct 5, 2016.

1. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Will a spare tire physically fit in a 4 non touring if I bought the tire and the foam?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the answer is yes.
    We have several lengthy threads.
    Two options:
    (1) Cut out the existing foam an insert spare into the hole. There will be a bulge, but you'll have more overall space.
    (2) Get the dealer to (or pay to) swap out the Level 4 foam with Level 3 foam with the spare tire, and then your Cargo space is a Level 3.

3. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I did some pricing. The foam right over the tire is $200 and the foam to the left and right are over $100 each. The spare is like $400. These are some crazy prices

Inwas pricing out a 16, dealer wont pay

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just avoid levels with no spare?

6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But, those are the best levels...

RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess my thinking is: if customers avoid levels without spares, Toyota may cave and reinstate the spare on those levels. FWIW, in Canada pretty much all levels of the 2016 have spare. There's one advanced tech level that nixes the spare.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note on Option 2, I am not sure the 3 w/ spare and 4 w/o spare vehciles are exactly the same rear seat level inside, so swapping Level 3 foam into a Level 4 may not be perfect fit but its not bad.

kithmo likes this.
  9. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I bought a donut spare on eBay for my Four. I cut out the foam exactly the dimension of the tire. It was nice of Toyota to include the spare tire hold-down nut, which made securing it a piece of cake. As you know, they even included the tools needed to change the spare. It really paid off recently when I got a flat. I'm an entertainer and absolutely had to get to the engagement on time. Using the flat fix kit wasn't an option, since it wouldn't have worked, due to the size of the puncture. The spare tire mod saved my butt that day, and was very happy I had done it. I had a Chevy Volt, and that mod wasn't possible in that car. Hopefully future Prius's (Prii?) will continue to include the hold-down assembly in the cars.

RCO, wjtracy and krmcg like this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The show must go on, as they say.
    We recently used the donut for the first time on our 2006 too.
    Now the spare doesn't look squeaky clean any more.

11. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Yes, I am a true believer. I've played important gigs with 104 degree fever, when I was young and dumb!

BTW, did you use the included scissor jack? Mine creaked like crazy after the full load of the car was on it. I lubed it up, and hopefully will work better the next time I use it. I'd also like to get one of those folding lug wrenches, to make life easier.....

12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the betting C.C. would have munched his donut by now if they ever have him one? Rofl

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  13. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Of course they are! :ROFLMAO:

krmcg likes this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I better check the pressure on my donut spare. I'm glad it's back there.

I pulled everything out one day, and applied sound-deadening stick-on foam to all the metal areas of the trunk/boot/wheel well, whatever you call it. Not sure how much it helped.

RCO likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assuming 4th gen scissor jack is the same as third: it's a poor design. The cast eyelet that you hook the torque rod into is very jumpy as you turn. Much better is Honda's jack: it has a u-shaped bent plate with TWO eyelets, about 1/2" apart. Keeps the torque rod stable as you turn.

Also, Toyota's cast eyelet is soft metal, metal spalls off with every rotation.

RCO likes this.
  16. Jelly

Jelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it will. If you look at one of my previous posts from 2017, you’ll see a detailed account of how I got mine to work. I also included pics so you can get a visual.

2016 Prius Spare Tire Fix w/Photos | PriusChat

Side note- I COMPLETELY agree w/Mendel Lisk’s comment that customers need to complain to Toyota about the lack of spare. Better yet, hit the dealerships in the pocketbook by INSISTING they give you a replacement foam floorboard insert (retail cost $350) so you can put in your own spare.

-Clearly there is a space cut out for a spare in the Prius 4.
    -The 2016 Prius Prime and Prius 2 included a compact spare tires as a standard part of the package. (I had the dealership give me the replacement foam floorboard insert from the Prius 2 before I agreed to purchase)
    -The can of Fix a Flat will not work if you blow out the sidewall of the tire. And if you happen to use the Fix a Flat, and are able to get the tire fixed, getting the Fix a Flat gunk cleaned out of the tire is really difficult
    - Wth did Toyota include a jack in the Prius 4 if they didn’t intend for the tires to be lifted/use a spare?

Maybe Prius owners band together and petition Toyota or something… but honestly, corporation’s usually only respond when customers speak using their pocketbooks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Eschewing levels without a spare "might" wake up Toyota. If the sales skew enough. AFAIK only the base Prius come with a spare tire; the other levels "upgrade" to air compressor with goop kit. There's something wonky there...

But then, if you want something like 3-door touch-to-unlock, you're SOL.

18. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is Zero chance Toyota is going to change because of a few customers not liking something, they only change due to rules, like if there was a rule that all cars needed to have a spare, which is not likely to happen.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I think you’re right. Still, just looking out for yourself: do your homework; research the levels upfront, don’t get yourself into an expensive/sand pounding retrofit.