1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone's Gonna Lose their Job

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Betelgeuse, May 2, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, Stephen Colbert was the last speaker this past White House Coorespondents' Dinner. I know that one of the points of the Coorespondents' Dinner is to poke fun at the sitting President, but Colbert is just brutal.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

EDIT: It looks like YouTube killed the links. You can still find the clip at the CSpan webpage.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Brutal begets brutal.

3. skepti

skepti New Member

masters of camera shows

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Brutal begets brutal."

Well said. I like the alliteration.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Here's a link where you can watch the video, download an MP3, or read the transcript:
    http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/03/145234

I thought that Colbert was brilliant, and as for "brutal begets brutal", I could not have said it better myself. And it takes cajones to speak "truthiness" to power like that. Now, if you ask me to name a comedy bit that I found tasteless, I would have to say it was the dinner two years ago (I don't think it was this same event, but a similar one) where W yukked it up, looking under the sofa in the Oval Office for the weapons of mass destruction ("Nope. No weapons over there.") - while our troops were getting killed in a war that was supposed to be about WMDs. Not only is Bush obviously angry during Colbert's routine, the press in the audience didn't find it that funny either. No wonder- they were complicit in the lies that led to this war.

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 2 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]248525[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it was McClellan's parting gift? B)

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 2 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]248561[/snapback]</div>
    Note that I made no indications that the brutality wasn't deserved. :)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ May 5 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]250190[/snapback]</div>
    We can only hope. Unfortunately, since the Bush administration is required to think with one hive mind (see: "Why Colin Powell Left"), it's hard to believe McClellan would have anything to do with it. :D

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 5 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]250204[/snapback]</div>
    Ya, it was actually departing WHPC president Mark Smith that made the selection. Most think that Colbert's performance was trumped by GW's surprise showing with Steve Bridges as impersonator. No one knew about this until the dinner. But in his own word's Smith said the fact that people listened was the best part of the evening. "In previous years, we had this problem where people yack through the whole thing," he said. Smith still has a job ...as a White House AP reporter.

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Perhaps the best thing about the otherwise dismal next three years we'll have will be Colbert. He's the edgiest white comedian I've ever seen. Go, Comedy Central!

10. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 6 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]250799[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree! The one nice thing about Monday is that I get to watch the Colbert Report again. And the Daily Show. The Daily Show is very funny but structured. News update, a video piece or two, then the guest. With the Colbert Report, you never know what you are going to get from night to night. You always get 'The Word' and a guest, but beyond that, it's different night to night.

I've said it before, the funniest thing is his hatred for bears! :lol:

[attachmentid=3285]

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A