1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something cheap to tow? Future vehicle shopping.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Higgins909, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I've got a 2010 Prius III with 193k on it. It hasn't gone into limp mode in a long time despite having the P0A80 code still. I spent about $300 replacing with used modules. I kinda turned my Prius into a Rav4 and use it as a truck. I've got oversized AT tires, 1.5" lift, curt receiver, rear axle airbags. Most likely sooner than later, the head gasket is going to fail, next. I hope to get it to 200k as that's a goal of mine, even though I bought it at 163k and only do about 5k a year.

This has me looking at used vehicle but it doesn't really seem like there is anything good, even if you're spending money. Empty I get about 30-32mpg and towing my supposed 1000lbs boat setup, I get 20mpg. I feel comfortable towing my boat with the Prius, but it's just knowing that the headgasket is having problems that will lead to a bad and costly failure that is bothering me. It could definitely use some more HP, but it does work.

I usually plan to keep the vehicle as long as possible. Also not feeling the hurt if it gets totaled. I think I've had this Prius for almost 6 years. I've looked at various types of pickups, minivans, suvs, and nothing seems like a good deal. Even if you're spending lots it seems like they're at end of life. I'm ok with dents and scratches, if it's cheap enough. I think I'd really like to get some kind of beater truck for under $10,000 but I just don't think it would have any reliability. (My prius really is kinda a beater. When I pushed my trailer with my bumper, it didn't hurt in a sense, but hurt that I did something so stupid)

Just a example of a beater truck, 04-06 ram 1500 v8 engine, 2wd, 176k to 202k miles. $7k-8k. I just don't think it will last because both my dad and step mom had those trucks and they started having bad problems around 140k. Also they get like 13mpg... I only paid 5.5k OTD for my Prius, I feel like I got my moneys worth... Now if I can find something to move on to.

Does anyone have any advice for this rambled post I have here?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Buy more money?

Everything went up. You aren't wrong about the prospects for a $10k truck.

Try a 2010-2014 Subaru Outback with the 6 cylinder 3.6R. They tow very well and the old-school 5 speed transmission is a tank if (someone) takes care of it. Nice driving cars overall.

MPG ain't awesome, but better than those trucks.

Good luck!

Higgins909 likes this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why replace a good thing? IF the motor does go bad replace it...It hasnt so stop trying to make your life complicated

4. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does image matter? Not sure how much weight you want to tow but how about a van? Something like a GMC Savanna/Ford E-150/Chevy Express for $2-3k

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

...can you still get those that cheap? Less clapped-out than a 2010 Prius with 193k on it?

The classic downsides of vans are parking, fuel economy and maintenance... need child-sized hands with the strength of three men.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So would 150,000,000 other Americans.
    Right tool for the job.
    You're looking for something to tow about 1500#, presumably over relatively short trips.

Handy as they are for hauling stuff, a truck isn't the only tool for that job.

I'd look into a minivan or not-so minivan as mentioned above.
    For $10,000 you should be able to get something that will more than suit your needs.
    The little "Hello Kitty" microvans that you see companies like mine use are also a good pick for used under $10,000....BUT...remember that they lack rear-view mirrors if you're a rhinoceros.

My dark-horse nomination would be something like an Elantra.
    Back in the early 2000's they cheap, reliable, and boasted a very high tow rating.

They also have rear-view mirrors.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For starters, there's no such thing as safely towing something on the cheap, let alone with 35 or higher MPG...

But fear not, as always, I'm hear to push the envelope of cheapest of DIY cheap that will get you up into the high 35 MPG range while towing.

What you want to look for is an old Highlander or Lexus 400H that has a failed hybrid battery and a stolen catalytic converter. People sell these for cheap because the cost of repairs the Toyota Stealerships quote are more than the value of the car so they give up.

Why one of these cars would be ideal for a DIY person who tows stuff is you can install a functional aftermarket cat for $100 and then you can add a 320V Project Lithium pack for SUVs for $3K... This system will give you surprising results because these oversized battery packs might not be so great as OEM Nickel-based power, but as Lithium power you're gonna have a huge amount more amps to play with and 35mpg when towing would be possible.

I've already helped several people with this setup and its amazing how well it works. And if you use my affiliate link I'll give you unlimited tech support, as well as help you with finding the vehicle: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But title of thread says: "something cheap to tow..." As in $10K or less and the old Stout's cost more than that these days:

upload_2023-6-26_11-29-33.png

10. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Replied to wrong thread. Got my tabs mixed up.

#10 Higgins909, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  11. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've just concluded that this market still sucks. That I will just keep with the Prius as it would be cheaper to repair than buy some other piece of junk. I also want to get into Amazon Flex a bit more and the cheaper cent per mile, the better. My tires are not helping me and my HVB is going out again.

I've been trying to buy or pre-order a ProjectLithium setup for a couple weeks now. Re-reading this thread just had me looking at Lexus suvs. A used GX460 looks so tempting. Not a very good price but I bet it would last and it's better than most pickups for that price. Good for the boat though.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A