1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something everyone needs to keep in each car.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgina Rudkus, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excepting cars like BEV's with no ICE, everyone should carry one of these in their car for emergency purposes.

Dsnaduo Universal Oil Drain Plug 1/2 inch Replace 65200 (Pack of 2)

Having one would allow those who do their oil change to deal with a stripped out oil drain plug and sell the oil pan until he or she does the next oil change, including repairing the hole by retapping or other means or replacing the oil pan.

Or, if the oil change is done by the dealer or an independent shop, the service center might hold you hostage for an immediate and oil pan replacement costing more that $100 up to $4,000 for a BMW or Meercedes.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I could also keep it at home where I keep my oil change bucket and jackstands and stuff. I don't imagine a stripped oil drain plug issue is going to spontaneously appear while I'm out on a road trip; I usually plan to do those chores before or after.

Salamander_King and PriusCamper like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... No Thanks... This will never be needed. It's just more clutter.

4. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m all for preparedness and self-sufficiency. I carry a cell phone and a credit card. Most often, some snacks and drinks too. No parts - my Volkswagen days are over :)

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it could save a trip to an auto shop if and when the oil pan thread is stripped while doing the DIY oil change... But, if you have access to another car, then you could just go get one when you need one? And if it happens in a shop, then no matter what, they will be charging you for the full repair cost, wouldn't they? Would a legit shop ever use a temporary fix like this?

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It happens. Take a look at this video.