1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something is caught in my trunk latch and I can't open it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by INgal, Dec 20, 2019.

1. INgal

INgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I accidentally closed my trunk on a bed sheet that I had in the back. Now I can't open it using the outside button or even manually by pulling the lever from the inside. When I pull on the inside lever it moves but nothing happens. I think the sheet is preventing it from releasing. I've cut off as much of the sheet as I can but there is still some caught in there.

Any ideas?

It's a 2011 Prius

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Push the outside button And pull up firmly

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife did the exact same thing in her Gen2 a few weeks ago. I released it from inside, but then it took a pretty hard shove to get it to release. Hold the release lever or cable, whichever it is and while holding that in the release position give the hatch a big push from inside. That should overcome the friction of the cloth in the latch. Just don't kick it or something and break the plastic.

If you pull from the outside, pull on the bottom of the hatch where it's metal.