1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something with the front wheel seems to "catch" rarely randomly while turning

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JonHakim, Mar 12, 2022.

1. JonHakim

JonHakim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on, but it feels like my front left wheel is catching when I turn. In mid-turn I suddenly pitch forward sightly and there's a strain sound as if something is caught, then everything's normal again. It's happened 4 times total, occurred on turns in both directions, I believe I've been going 30-40 mph each time. The first three times it was momentary, the fourth time it lasted at least half a second or longer.

The first two times were about two weeks apart, it was so abrupt and other things were going on that I thought I had just slipped slightly on the road at the apex of the turn, but it didn't feel right. The 3rd and 4th time just happened today within 10 miles of driving and felt like something internal rather than external. It definitely felt like something was impeding the turning of the front wheel. My sensation was that it's the left front wheel but I can't be 100% sure on that every time.

Not long before this started happening I had a nail puncture in one tire repaired and bought two new tires. The shop moved my rear tires to the front and placed the new ones on back. It feels potentially meaningful, potentially coincidental that these issues started soon afterwards.

Other random theories:

1. Perhaps my parking brake is somehow catching briefly?
    2. Perhaps I'm having some failure in the drive system that is keeping one of my wheels from rotating on the turn the way it's supposed to?
    3. Possibly the steering u-joint is going bad? Last year I had a bolt randomly fall out of my steering column and then get replaced at the shop, could that be related?

Happy for any advice. Unfortunately this stuff always happens to me on Friday night or Saturday night and I need my car soon, but it doesn't feel entirely safe....should I drive 10 miles to carpool with my friend tomorrow or not?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The first thing that comes to mind is a bad cv joint on one of the front drive axles. Or maybe a loose plastic wheel well hitting the tire. Possibly a loose wheel. A strut could be sticking. Honestly the easy solution is to let a front end shop or dealer check it out.

3. JonHakim

JonHakim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One more detail: The reason I replaced two tires a few weeks ago (unrelated to the puncture) is because the tire guys said the tire boot on one of the front tires had torn loose or something to that effect. We replaced that tire, but someone has now suggested to me that could be a symptom of other issues?

I'm planning on taking it to a shop monday morning. Big question I have is how safe it is to drive the car in the meantime. I'm supposed to be carpooling with someone else driving tomorrow but it's a 10 mile drive each way to get to him. Should I play on the side of caution or is it fine?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The cv joints are inside the boots. If the boot is torn you lose the cv joint grease. A cv joint that fails completely will strand you but is not a major safety issue otherwise.

FE662DD6-5DAC-4313-9E20-E4E1F927A5DE.jpeg

#4 rjparker, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  5. JonHakim

JonHakim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, interesting. Thank you for that explanation.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If that is what happened and is happening again, it could be the antilock - traction control system trying to recover from the slip. That is normal if the road is slippery and the tire slides and the traction control system kicks in until the car get it footing back and doesn't turn off for a second after the sliding stops and feels like the brakes are on. It's a weird feeling, and happens most noticeably on snow or ice.

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Clock wire under steering wheel or face mask caught in steering column

8. JonHakim

JonHakim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

The odd thing would be why has that suddenly happened 4 times in the last month, including twice in the last day, after having never happened before that I can remember? And I'm driving the same roads I've driven dozens of times, possibly the first time it was a icy day but not the last three. Yesterday in particular was not a slippery day, it was not a tough curve either time and I was not driving fast.

It is true that the antilock brake light flashed briefly, but the car's wheel behavior was weird enough that I took that as a symptom rather than a cause.

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    missed a notification
    when it happened to me on ice a few times last month, I didn't notice the traction control / anti lock light come on. The car was cold - ambient temps below freezing and I was driving slow while warming the car up. The car kinda stuttered as the left wheel locked for a sec than released.
    I can't think of any reason something like that would happen on dry pavement.
    Have you checked for fault codes (dtc ) diagnostic trouble codes ? Again, I'm not sure what code reader to get for ABS codes, Both ABS and SKS (air bag) codes don't always show up on inexpensive equipment.

Since you know when to expect it, can you make it happen by doing something specific? That might help identify what's going on ... just guessing ATM ...

re reading your original post, a possible check might be to a dummy ABS reset by locking up the brakes while driving slowly. I've done that with my older cars when it's snowing to test the ABS slide in the snow so I'll know what to expect if I have to stop hard.

If it doesn't feel safe and it's happening more and none of the other suggestions above seem to help, I'd suggest you get it check out. A mechanic with Prius experience and techstream is usually your best option with a Prius.

#9 vvillovv, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022