1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something you wish your Prius had

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Delta Flyer II, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You may never have had a problem, but what's scary is all the other idiots on the road texting, shaving, applying make-up, using laptops and any other distraction they're engaged in rather than paying attention to the task at hand. Now we want these cars to have always-on cruise control and expect these fools to use the brakes to shut it off? They can't even keep their car in one lane. Ughh.

xpcman and markabele like this.
  2. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yup, center-of-gravity. Thought that nomenclature was universal. The obvious improvement they could make in the next generation Prius is to move the battery from the relatively high location above the fuel tank as it is in the current Prius (ditto the C-Max and Fusion), to a relatively lower one in front of the fuel tank, as it is in the Prius C. Or they can adopt a longitudinal tunnel configuration, like the Chevy Volt.

(In light of recent events, having the battery form the entire floor of the vehicle as it is in the Tesla Model S... seems a little vulnerable.)

3. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My car auto steers to stay in the lane and the cruise control has radar to auto brake (so yes i wish it was always on as well). I want more though. 100% autonomous!

On a more serious note though, it's not really all that unsafe to leave the cruise control on in between shutdowns. As stated earlier brakes always cancels cruise control. No matter how distracted you are if you can't brake to slow down you shouldn't be driving anyways. Also it's not possible to accelerate out of control with the cruise control as the last recorded speed is always erased in between shutdowns with any car. Meaning you need to set it first before that could even happen. Again, if someone is that clumsy of a driver they can just leave the cruise permanently off and hopefully start taking the bus to work.

Personally I use cruise nearly 100% of the time I drive my car, so I'd love for it to stay on. I've also had cars in the past that leave the cruise on after turning the car off and I always loved that feature.

4. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's a big one. A radio in the console that I could be proud of. Something as technically advanced as the car itself. The radio and gps that is in the car is so abysmally bad I'm ashamed to even let people look at it.

xliderider likes this.
  5. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish that my Prius could communicate with other cars within a certain radius, let's say 5 or 10 miles. If those cars have been stuck and not moving, my car would tell me that I need to take an alternative route. An alternative route known to have cars moving on it. This isn't future stuff, we have the technology, it's just a matter of making it happen. The only obstacle is privacy issues. That seems solvable. All problems worth solving are solvable. Net connected cars is what I wish for any vehicle that I drive.

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a net connected phone if you are using a phone with GPS that will give you real time traffic updates. I know Google Maps is getting much much better about this and obviously will only improve as time progresses.

7. 102mm

102mm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Auto dimming headlights & side mirrors, auto wipers, memory seats linked to the remote, backup sensors, a light for that console area in the middle

swyped from my Note II with Taptalk 4

8. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Adaptive headlights, my Lexus has them and they help so much. Factory led tail lights (reverse and turn signal). Better paint coat (thicker so it doesn't chip easily). Ability to play DVD/iPod video while parking brake is on. Actual ev mode so the engine doesn't come on even if I gun it or turn on the heater,

9. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    500 horsepower

WE0H likes this.
  10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read of Atkinson cycle engines with superchargers. The plus was more power and a reduction in the "pumping losses" that occur when the intake valve stays open for part of the intake stroke, causing reverse air flow for that cylinder for a short time. The minus was the loss of energy to drive the supercharger and increased complexity, of course.

11. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Um, the Tom Tom I have for US driving and an Aldi brand GPS for German driving both capture official traffic congestion alerts which they use to notify the driver and calculate alternative faster routes, so you can get that capability right now. The Tom Tom was $110 and has lifetime map updates that so far are working fine although it takes a couple hours every few months to download the updates. Those official notices don't catch every minor slowdown, but they do catch the major ones.

12. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Waze app uses real time intput from users. I don't think that it can get better than that.

VTAERO likes this.
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A decent freakin driver's seat. Geez what buffoons that put the base seat together. :rolleyes:

pointcrossed likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sound insulation.

15. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A hood and rear hatch design that didn't let every leaf falling in the vicinity collect in the drain channels of the car (with the hood and hatch closed mind you). Makes it virtually impossible to keep those areas clean and will almost certainly accelerate rust later on in the cars life.

pointcrossed likes this.
  16. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Um, maybe some areas of the Prius will rust, but I'm sure the rear hatch is aluminum and I think the hood is also so no problem there! Rear wing is plastic so that's safe. But I'm waiting for leaves to fall here so will soon see that problem for myself!

17. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not talking about the hood and hatch themselves, but the drain channels in the chassis itself. Open either end after sitting out all day and those crevasses are filled with leaves - the channels must drain water to the ground, but they can't possibly handle a large volume of leaves being flushed down there and still drain properly. Eventually they'll get backed up, and that's when the issues could start.

My other cars are 17 and 26 years old each (and in near mint condition), so this is something I took immediate notice of.

18. Jay Gloab

Jay Gloab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More intelligent auto climate control. If, for instance, I want the front defrost on, that shouldn't cancel Auto, the Auto system should simply continue to operate within that constraint.

haole man likes this.
  19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A higher capacity battery to allow EV mode to go further but not being a plug in version to have that larger battery.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't quite follow, Mike. Please explain.