1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sometimes we need a reminder...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by S Keith, Jul 7, 2016.

1. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I managed to get into it once (not bad or anything, but it was one of those less-than-cordial exchanges you see here every now and then) with Steve not too long ago. He's an engineer. I'm an engineer. It happens. I can certainly see why you would make the assumptions you do.

It's too bad that he was such a knowledgeable contributor, but as you said, the forum will go on.:)

2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a sense that this is just about exhausted by now, but a day or two before OP here, I thought, "This guy seems touchy."

Time to move on. See you in another thread!

johnnyb588 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apologize for the bad advice, apparently, the offending posts were deleted. i would repeat them for you, but it seems like bad form.

johnnyb588 and aaroncv3 like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just waiting patiently for the backup copies of S Keiths posts to come back live.

SFO likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    S. Keith helped me out extensively -- and I do mean extensively -- a few months ago via PM. I really appreciated and needed his help.

I also appreciate this forum. But, it has also slipped down extensively in the past several months. Not circling the drain, but...

Anyway, I am a bit upset by all this.

One thing, we all hail the forum. Even me. But....Danny, in the past couple of months has seemed to have thrown us under the bus. No communication other than "a new baby." Hmmm. Went through that a couple of times, but did not put me out for months (of course, there could be more to it).

Yes, was a great forum and is still trying to be one, but someone has also made some cash from it. Was it pocket change or several thousand USD a month, I have no idea (would be curious to know though).

At any rate, guess I am just rambling... we will never know without a message from Danny -- which I truly believe we deserve -- and sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, sorry to S. Keith leave. Really sorry.

SFO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you miss his recent posts on prime?

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm like "prime?"

Like Amazon Prime? Then, I sort of remember, Prius Prime.

So, I go and look and now I am even a little more ticked.

Posting away about a junket, but no message, at least that I have seen, about all the issues "back at the ranch."

Well, I will leave this subject alone from now on.....probably spouted off too much already. :oops:

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear this but fully understand:
    Been there, done that, took a vacation. I have a special interest in Prius accidents and Prius safety. It is so strong I skipped the 2016 Prius because TSS-P is not an option on the Level 2 ECO and that also opened a door to another ride. Regardless, at one time, I was sharing details about fatal Prius and backover accidents oblivious to the angst it apparently was causing. Then I got an 'ultimatum'.

Smart contributors have ears that work as well as our fingers. It is why we often have technical skills because we learn new technology and practice it. Certainly, moderators have a thankless task but as a bad joke my Dad once told me,"The difference between rape and rapture ... salesmanship." There are effective ways to change user behavior but I'm Southern and edicts ... a poorly crafted correction can be worse than the original issue.

When we owned a 2003 Prius, @S Keith brought valuable technical skills and postings. So when we gave our 03 Prius to our housekeeper and I left the 2001-03 forum, I knew there would be continuity of @S Keith technical content. Perhaps not 'Bob style' but close enough.

So I'll offer this, @S Keith call it a 'vacation' and play in other sandboxes ... there are a lot of them and a lot of fun. If you come back, good, if not:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

strawbrad, ozmatt and wjtracy like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Thanks for your contributions.

All the best....

SFO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is a dangerous place for those with thin skin, even outside of fhopol.

12. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As someone who has had his ****** whacked by a moderator, I can understand why Steve deleted his contributions.
    In the relatively short time he was here he helped a lot of people.
    Sure, he could be abrasive at times but he would usually make nice when called on it.

Priuschat is Danny's playground and he makes the rules. I suppose you could say Danny has the unassailable authority of
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, the Senior Drill Instructor at Parris Island, SC in the movie Full Metal Jacket who stated:
    "Here you are all equally worthless and my orders to the moderators are to weed out all non-hackers who
    do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps!

Steve turned in his DOR. And he will be missed.

SFO likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    otoh, level of competency shouldn't dictate acceptable behavior standards.

14. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm a pretty abrasive person. I acknowledge and understand that.

As someone who grew up in the era of forums, and is/has been a member of at least 100 different forum communities, I have had my fair share of brushes with mods. I can honestly say that there were zero instances that were undeserved. In order to be called out on something over the internet, it has to be pretty egregious/obnoxious/foul/fill_in_word_here.

Regardless of how beneficial anyone's positive contributions are to the community, nobody should get a pass on being a ****.

And what is all this talk about money and ads? Really? Who are you to think you have an iota of right to criticize the way this site makes money? Or am I missing the point on the money issue?

bisco likes this.
  15. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I, for one, did not say Steve (or anyone else) should get a pass for abrasive comments/posts. I merely stated that
    I understood why he chose the nuclear option. From what I recall from the deleted posts, Steve was reprimanded
    publicly which was overkill - the punishment did not fit the crime.
    Moderators have another way of warning people that the explosive collars around their necks are about to detonate
    (Google "The Running Man"). And that's probably why Steve picked up his toys and went home.

SFO likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no it had nothing to do with money or ads. tha tangent came up from the point that the owner of the site has a right to do whatever they want.

17. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suppose because sometimes, some people say something along the line that we should be grateful that we are being given the chance to be here by the benevolent forces....all for nothing.

Perhaps forgetting that "we are the ones" earning the $$ for the benevolent forces...maybe...maybe not.

Maybe all income from this site only adds up to 60 cents per month. Or, maybe $600 a week. Or maybe the site is in the red. Or maybe the only payoff is automotive junkets.

I have NO idea.

I will say, that when the site is working properly, I am glad to be here and it is fine that $$ is being made.

When the site does not work, it is only common courtesy to say SOMETHING...

#37 Stevewoods, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something

ETP likes this.
  19. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Words, words, words,
    Indeed, we all get offended but probably shouldn't. Just can't help it.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

bisco likes this.