1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sony XAV-AX100 in 2005 prius, issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LKasdorf, Apr 10, 2022.

1. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to remove the dash on my 2005 prius to do the capacitor fix on the combination meter, and while I have it apart, I'm upgrading the stereo to a Sony XAV-AX100 that I removed from my son's car because he didn't want it (he is old school- he wanted a cassette deck!)

I bought the harness that plugs into the prius plugs and I soldered up to the Sony harness, matching colors. I powered it up and it works- kinda.

First, I noticed that if I get the volume past about 1/4, it starts distorting pretty badly. This car has the standard audio- not the JBL system with an external power amp. But the old cd/radio sounded fine. And I recall that this unit sounded fine before we took it out of my son's car. More experiments are inidicated I reckon.

The other problem is with bluetooth. I can connect to it with my phone, but the sony doesn't seem to think that it has made a BT connection. When it connects, I do get a screen change- 3 little icons upper right start flashing. The BT settings screen says no device connected, yet my phone thinks that it is connected to a sony XAV-AX100.

Is my sony just fried, or is it user/installer error?

#1 LKasdorf, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It turns out that the adapter harness for the rear speakers had a pin that was not going in where it was supposed to and was instead, bending up to short out the RR speaker, thus wreaking havoc. No permanent damage.
    The bluetooth problem- I called sony tech support and while on the phone with them in my car, I started the car, and the damn Sony head unit connected bluetooth and took over the call! I think there is still something a bit flaky about it, but I have seen it work. After I button it all up and drive the car for a while, I'll know if it is really a problem.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like progress. We look forward to the follow up to declare the problems finally resolved to close out the thread.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I installed that same Sony in our Prius, it's been fantastic. That said, I've never actually tried to connect via bluetooth. We bought it to do carplay/aa and both of those require USB connection on this model, so we always do that.

Note that Sony has published updated firmware for the deck since it was first sold, could help you. The procedure is very simple though you'll need a USB storage device to carry the file out to the car.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got it all resolved. Now, I just need to get the driveable...I thought that the capacitor fix would resolve my problems, but now a battery P0AA6 has popped up. Gotta yank the hv battery again...
    Jeez, I'm ready to buy a used Camry or something normal...

6. Taylor8682

Taylor8682 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I grounded the parking brake wire. It seems to work.