1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Soon-to-be) New Prius Prime Owner

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by traav1s, Apr 24, 2020.

1. traav1s

traav1s New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello, fellow Prius Prime owners, I come from a 2001 Lexus RX 300 2WD. I'm familiar with Toyota's, so this is nothing new. Usually, I'd get my cars in white, silver, or black. But this time, since it's a used car, it is in Hypersonic Red. It's the only car they had, and I don't really mind if it's a cop magnet. But boy, does the color look great in person! Now, this car has about 87,795 miles. It has a few scuffs and paint chips, mainly at the front and rear (the sides are perfectly fine), and it has lost all four of its hub caps. It's exposing the shiny, good-looking alloy wheels. With that being said, where can I find those center caps? I honestly don't like the style of the hub caps, so I'm glad it won't be coming with the car anyways. I saw one set for ~$70 on Amazon and the seller is a Toyota dealer, but I really don't want to go too expensive on center caps. Has anyone bought some that are cheaper, and are just as good as the ~$70 ones? The steering wheel has a tiny tear, in which I will just resolve by using a steering wheel cover.
    To make it nice and simple, is there anything (powertrain or aesthetics) that you guys think I should do to this car, that way to prolong its life, and keep its style fresh? I will post pictures of the car, as soon as I get it, which should be relatively soon. I do want to keep this car for quite a while.
    In the meantime, while I finalize the transaction, and get everything all tidy up, here's the list that I created. Please help reply to what I should add to it! Thanks for your help and cooperation :)

Needs:
    Steering Wheel Cover
    Rear Bumper Applique
    LED Lighting Conversion
    Center Rim Caps
    Door Scuff Applique

Optional:
    Mud Flaps
    Door Latch Cover
    Metal Sport Pedals
    Window Rain Guards
    Red Start Button Applique
    Interior Liner (Blue)
    Seat Belt Pads
    Key Fob Shell
    Dashboard Cover
    Projector Door Lights

bisco likes this.
  2. traav1s

traav1s New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    LED Lighting Conversion, meaning the interior lighting. I’m aware that all exterior lights except for reverse lights are LED.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

one thing toyota doesn't recommend is to replace the tranny fluid. but many experts here have tested it, and feel it should be changed to extend the life if you're keeping it more than 150k.

get a health check on the 12v as well.

all the best!(y)

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!! Mine is also a hypersonic red '17 Premium. Never had any issues here with the police, but then the've got bigger fish to fry anyway. :LOL:

On the center caps, I think $70 is the lowest price I've seen for the real McCoy. I have a set bookmarked. Might get them next month. Just seems steep for something so small. I've seen the cheap ones online but not in person. Not sure if they're worth a try or not.

I also did the interior LED lights and also added extra LED lighting to the cargo area. It's like a cave back there at night.

A few more things I did which are generally comfort and convenience related:
    • There are no cargo rings in the cargo area. But there are threaded sockets hidden near the seat backs under plastic covers that screw out. I used one of those to install a D-ring so I could secure a donut spare tire back there.
    • Another thing was taking out the "slime" tire pump and putting it in a drawer. Replaced it with a plug kit and a regular 12V pump. (Some folks use a bicycle pump.)
    • Driver's door arm rest is built for orangutans. I made a tall pad so I could rest my elbow while holding the wheel.
    • Most significant thing was fixing the extreme glare from the black piano finish on the lower part of the passenger dash. I put some matte black vinyl on there and it looks a million times better and my wife doesn't get as many migraines.

5. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Be sure to order a small steering wheel cover, 14-14.25 inches in diameter. I ordered a standard size. It was too big, slid around on the steering wheel and had to be returned.

6. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, congrats and welcome !

Rob43

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats and welcome! I got rid of the stock hubcaps the day I got the car, went to the dealer and said...."Make my wallet Holler"! $70 later I and 5 years later I am a happy camper. There are cheaper alternative, but I knew that these would fit for ever.