1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sorry but another back up camera/rearview mirror question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Lucky Lager, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Lucky Lager

Lucky Lager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do search (a lot) not quite finding the info I need. Im very mechanical and auto electric inclined (not the best but far from dumb :) Ok first off got a 2011 Prius III, not really feel like messing with the stereo or adding a Nav unit at this time. I want a BU cam in the rear view mirror, I also refuse to pay OEM or Gentex prices of around $500. With that said these are the 2 items I am considering:

wireless CCD 1/3" car parking camera for Toyota Prius rear backup camera night version waterproof 170 degree

or

Hot sell Wired car rearview backup camera for Toyota Prius parking camera

Auto Dim Rearview Mirror with 3 5" Camera Display Fits Ford GM Toyota Nissan | eBay

Since this is a "Harness-less" mirror (No plug n play) I suppose I install the mirror, run the power wire, run ground wire and the RCA (camera wire) and the reverse trigger wire to appropriate spots, power to "car on" power, ground to good ground, Reverse trigger to reverse wire (tap), and camera RCA plug to camera wire. Is this all it will take for this system to work?

I assume it just needs power and the reverse tapped to trigger the back up cam in the mirror.

Anyone taken this route yet? If so - shoot me pointers or suggestions. Id appreciate it.

BONUS QUESTION :)
    I can't find a reverse beep silence for this generation Prius…is there one yet? Thanks!

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You need a scan tool.

3. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have a link or can you elaborate? I'm still new here and can't read everything fast enough...

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Down under the steering wheel there is something called the CAN BUS port. The CAN BUS is a little local electronic web that the different parts of the car use to talk amongst themselves. You can plug into the port with something called a scan tool and then you can listen to what the car is saying, or you can tell it to do things. Mechanics use them to diagnose modern cars, sometimes the car can just tell you what's wrong. On a 3rd. generation Prius (2010 through present time) you need to go in through the CAN BUS to turn off the nuisance beeps.

5. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any info on the back up cam info anyone?

7. jackytabo90

jackytabo90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone. There are a lot of after market vendors available that provide quality backup cameras along with various other car accessories that are efficient in a ride. I got a backup camera installed in mine ride from tadi brothers . Their cameras are cheap and you could easily get a backup camera according to your budget and requirement. Hey lucky, hope that was helpful for you. You could just search Tadi brothers over the net and you would reach them, I can't send you the link.

8. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Shoot me a link. I'll search them

9. jackytabo90

jackytabo90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure. I'll give you the link. But I need to complete my minimum requirements on this forum to send a link as per the rules.

10. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found them. Thsnkd

11. James4455

James4455 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do I understand correctly that you have to have the Nav unit before you can plug in the camera?