1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sorry if this has been posted before... Squeaks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stephensprius, Apr 13, 2018.

1. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi guys,
    I tried to do a search but did not see anything specific to the squeaks we are experiencing when we step out of the vehicle. The car moves a little, even though it is in park and then makes a squeak. Sounds like a door that hasn't had enough grease or something like that. Comes from the front-middle under the car. It is a 2013 Prius Persona with almost 80,000 miles.

Any thoughts?
    Again, sorry if this has been asked before. :)

Thanks!
    Stephen

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There a dozons of things that can be the source. The best thing you can do is to have some joust the car while you go searching. Until you isolate the area, it’s a crap shoot.

3. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Okay. Thanks. I was trying to pinpoint it and see if it is something that needed attention. I will ask dealer to take a look next oil change.

4. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Um, reading your post, I got a vivid mental image of a knight in shining armor heading full tilt at a Prius with his lance lowered, which was fun as I thought it was a toss up as to whether "old tech" or "new tech " would win.

But seriously, what we used to do so try to isolate squeaks on the rattletraps we drove, was to have the biggest, beefiest guy in our gang kind of use their hands and weight to bounce each corner of the car up and down. You try to time those pushes rhythmically to get maximum ultimate motion of the body and suspension , to see if you can re-create the squeak. If you can get it at all, then try the same thing with the hood up to get better localization of the source of the squeak. We typically spayed or dripped used motor oil over every contact point that was even remotely suspicious, but there are much better products such as spray silicone lubricants nowadays. I suspect you were also referring to a systematic process like that, because squeaks are damnably hard to locate and stop sometimes.

stephensprius likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dawn... not only does it saves scores of birds and wild life from OIL slicks, it’s also good for finding squeaks. A lite solution in a spray bottle works well.