1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"soulless, hyper fuel-efficient machines"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KeinoDoggy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AutoWeek

When is this worthless "rag" of a magazine going out of business!
    :mad: :mad:

FranklinS and Bob Hahn like this.
  2. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What a bunch of tards.

FranklinS likes this.
  3. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Far from soulless. It's soul is focused on efficiency and fun rather than fast and fun. The Prius excels at high mpg. I would expect that the majority of the cars they test, that they believe have a "soul", excel at nothing.

FranklinS likes this.
  4. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have time to read AutoWeek because I'm too busy reading PriusChat.

FranklinS, JimPHL, usnavystgc and 4 others like this.
  5. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    :mad: Maybe I'm not a Formula 1 driver, but the Prius is enough to give me thrills. Even before upgraded tires, TRD springs and sway bar, I don't have enough "soul" to push it to the limit.

FranklinS likes this.
  6. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a car made in japan, I wonder what exacly they were expecting to find?

FranklinS likes this.
  7. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    :eek:There are many affordable "Japanese" cars that rivals European and American engineering in the speed department.

FranklinS likes this.
  8. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My last car was wrx, pretty soulless, chceck reviews of gt-r, no soul found there as well.
    Imho soul comes standart with $100k + italian cars, in anything less than that it only means big service bills on monthly bases.

FranklinS likes this.
  9. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    They gave positive reviews on the WRX and GT-R.
    Sorry, I can't distinguish between you being sarcastic against Autoweek, or agreeing with them.

FranklinS likes this.
  10. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Different cars have different characters, obviously they didn't capture the "soul" and character of the Prius.

The Ferrari's flat crank motor begs to be driven to the redline, all the little valves working together at 8500 rpm is music to the ears.
    Porsche 911's rear mounted low center of gravity flat 6 spins like a sewing machine and sure footed traction makes her driver looking forward to find the next twisty road.
    Prius' slippery shape feels like it's rolling on silicon, the stealthy EV mode it's the sound of the next generation. Handles equally well and better than most car costing x2 as more. Best part, with the MPG you are almost driving for free!

FranklinS, OceanEyes and Sabby like this.
  11. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not familiar with autoweek and I have a feeling whoever did that article drives kia or similar soul loaded car. It is only human to criticize others for the choices they made.
    I love my new to me prius for an amazing technically advance piece of machinery it is.

FranklinS likes this.
  12. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Now that it is mentioned, I honestly can't say I've read a single two thumbs up review about the Prius before I bought it. Most are so-so reviews and many bad ones like Autoweek. But guess what, I think I didn't give a :mad: :eek: :sick: :p because I bought one anyways, and I love my Prius:) Just like the Oscars, the film that usually wins, I've never saw or heard of. The ones that got bashed, I found most entertaining.

finman and FranklinS like this.
  13. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think prius become a car for people who don't care what others think.

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Their magazine should be named "Auto Weak". Their idea of the ideal car is one that's a 100 grand or more. There's no place to drive those kind of cars to their potential. For the .0001 percent that can afford them... Happy Motoring! My prius make more sense than all of them put together.

FranklinS likes this.
  15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I don't get to drive a buzzilion different cars like these rag journalists, but since they do, they must know something about what they are driving.

Our beloved Consumer Reports does proclaim Prius has 'adequate' acceleration and 'secure' but 'not agile' handling. I know what they've talking about.

I drive a 3rd gen Prius, but I'm not ashamed to say that although it is great on gas, and although HSD works very well, it comes up a little short on the highway and in sharp turns. The interior leaves something to be desired for me, but it's decent.

It's an ok looking car, but certainly not as appealing as a nicely sculpted sedan.

Prius is a work in progress. If 3rd genis the pinnacle of Prius design, Toyota is screwed. But I don't think it is. Accord is on 9th gen, Camry 7th or 8th. Prius will get there too.

FranklinS likes this.
  16. Scargod

Scargod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Love the way my Prius handles and I've received compliments on its ride from other racers. Just wished it had the Ferrari sound. Too bad Soundracer doesn't appear to work in a Prius ;( SoundRacer

FranklinS and Mrpcar like this.
  17. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You know it's interesting most people don't understand what really gives the Ferrari the signature sound. Most people thinks it's just the header / exhaust that makes it sound like that but after spending all the money to modify their car the sound does not come anywhere close to the sound of the Ferrari.

The key to the sound is Ferrari's flat crank engine design and the firing order that's what gives the Ferrari sound.

Here is a good explanation of that design, there are a handful of car manufacturers that uses this design. You will know when you hear it. So next time when you hear a Lambo, Audi R8, Ferrari zip by you can say. Ah! A flat crank engine. :) Flat Plane Crank

finman and FranklinS like this.
  18. Scargod

Scargod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Dam, you've got as many cars as we have! I race an STi. Some like the unique sound of the unbalanced exhaust on a Subaru. Me, I like the more conventional sound of equal length headers. If I had my druthers I'd be listening to a V-12 in a 599 GTO.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. Spend enough time in the world of cars and you can tell the type of car by the sound of the exhaust at full throttle. Even if a Mustang, Corvette and Viper used the same exhaust system you can easily tell which is which. It's all in the engine design.

20. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it's a car for people who don't care about cars, just good mileage ;) :whistle:

FranklinS likes this.