1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"soulless, hyper fuel-efficient machines"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KeinoDoggy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a funny exhaust sound video, it was after lunch I was heading back to the office when someone shot this video. Engine was cold so I was taking it easy. Exhaust is Tubi NGCT. I don't know the person who shot the video, just came across it on youtube by accident. I was like, wait a minute that's me! LOL!

It's funny to me because I never knew there were exotic car paparazzis.

FranklinS and F8L like this.
  2. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do care about cars, and I think the Prius is a very good car. Good MPG is just a side benefit for me.

FranklinS likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have added the clause for aftermarket turbos. Those can often mask the characteristic sound of an engine. Particularly a rear mount turbo. :)

N/A

Rear mount turbo

Can you tell I am felling nastalgic? LOL

FranklinS likes this.
  4. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's very fast hook up, how did you get it not to spin? What kind of slicks?

What do you mean by rear mounted turbo?

FranklinS likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Such sweet cars. A friend had a 360 he would bring to our LS1 meets just to make us drool.

FranklinS and Mrpcar like this.
  6. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you ever noticed how similar the the LS1 body line is to the 360? I always go to the local gear head muscle car meet with the F-car (They call me the "other). When parked next to a Corvette I noticed both are almost have identical lines. Next time I am going to bring the Prius.

FranklinS likes this.
  7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all about suspension and tires. Most of those guys use ET Drags.

STS turbo came out with a rear-mounted turbo kit back in 2002 or so. I put one on my 2001 GMC fullsize. It was a nice kit but budget oriented so it needed some custom work. It got my 5500lb 4x4 ext.cab truck into the low 12s though. Not bad considering the truck runs in the 16s stock.

Playing in a tunnel

FranklinS likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. I used to have a 2000 Trans Am which when lowered looked A LOT like a 360 when viewed driving down the road. Sometimes my girlfriend would drive it and when I'd see her on the other side of the freeway I had to do a double take.

9. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's interesting, I just google it. Never knew there was a system like that, how do you run the pluming all the way to the front of the engine's intake? This system would be perfect for the rear mounted 911 engines.

They need to make this kit for the Prius!!!

STS Turbo, Inc. - Benefits of STS Systems

FranklinS likes this.
  10. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's one fast truck!!!
    My X5M 100% stock 1/4 in 12.6, I didn't do anything with any aftermarket ECU tuning. Don't feel like there is a need to do that.

FranklinS and F8L like this.
  11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You utilize the OE exhaust system then plumb new pipe from the rear to the front of the vehicle, into the intercooler then the intake. There is more lag associated with this design but choosing the right turbo minimizes this.

They have a number of applications and doing a custom kit is not hard. You really have to be able to tune the car's ECU though.

FranklinS likes this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The X5M is sick!

We eventually dropped the STS kit and went with conventional front-mounted twins. The truck made 719rwhp with those. image.jpg

Still not as cool as the X5 though.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car mag writers just don't get it. A car doesn't have to have tons of power or the luxury of a Bentley to be lovable. Look at how many VW bug lovers there are out there! lol

KeinoDoggy, FranklinS and Mrpcar like this.
  14. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The X5M only makes 555hp, 500 ft lb of torque from a 4.4 liter twin turbo at the wheel, not even close to what you are making! I think the fast time is due to the full time 4 wheel drive no loss in traction on take off. But you can see the X5 really struggle when it reaches 3 digit speed. Aerodynamic drag really kicks on x2 at that speed.

I see that we've completely hijacked this thread. LOL!

I love this video. Who needs road? LOL!

F8L and FranklinS like this.
  15. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 1961 XKE Roadster was one of the most visceral and rewarding driving experiences one could hope to enjoy. This video brings back soooo many memories.

F8L, FranklinS and Mrpcar like this.
  16. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've read Auto Week for a long time. Of course in the last couple of years it has gone from a weekly publication to every other week. They still call it Auto Week instead of "Auto every other Week". You will notice after a while that they are stuck in power mode most of the time. Most of the cars they rate are fine on a track. That's what they do.

The fine folks at "Auto Week" have no clue what to do with a Prius or any car that is built to get high fuel mileage as opposed to a car that might be stellar at the 24 hours of Le Mans. Maybe someone should come up with Hybrid Week.

17. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's a great idea!

FranklinS likes this.
  18. Jason Walker

Jason Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Auto Week's quote is almost verbatim what I tell my friends when they ask me how I like owning a Prius. The Gen 3 is definitely better than the Gen 2 I had but I would still call it soulless. To be honest, if it weren't for the stellar mpg, I would own something else.

FranklinS likes this.
  19. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I truly think the early XKE roadster to be one of the most beautiful cars ever produced.(y)

AUTOWEAK just doesn't get it. I've had hot rodded 5.0 Mustangs, and Firebirds that you would ask yourself, nervously "do I really want to keep your right foot planted".
    I can honestly say I love my Prius more. Go figure?
    Strangely enough when you look at the quick review here is what they say:
    "The Prius has set the standard for hybrid-powertrains in the US since it was introduced. The current model is the most efficient, most reliable Prius yet and starting at $22,120 before tax rebates and incentives, it's an amazing bargain.

With several new Prius variations on the way, the winning hybrid powertrain will be available in more body styles to appeal to more car buyers. Anyone who thought the original Prius was too small should look for the Prius v. Customers looking to maximize their fuel economy would be advised to consider the Prius Plug-in. Both feature Toyota's reliable, efficient hybrid technology at a reasonable price.

Leading fuel economy; proven reliability; new models provide cargo and passenger flexibility."

Souless, indeed. I have "Etta James Live" on my usb in my Prius! What ya got, AutoWeak?

B. Roberts and Mrpcar like this.
  20. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are sports cars that are raw, visceral, and definitely beautiful machines, antique and modern that would be extreme fun to drive for a few hours every once in a while. Open cars, closed cars. I love almost all 2 seaters.

But when it comes to the more mundane driving chores, like rush hour commuting or long distance road travel, a Prius if fine, and to me, it's actually great. It's plenty comfortable, quiet, roomy and directional. Most of all it's super efficient!

Good Souls can be very different. Prius is different from a sports car. A 1966 AC Cobra 427 has bucket fulls of Soul, but I bet it would kick most of the Soul right out of a driver making a 1500 mile back road trip! Not saying that the first 100 miles or so wouldn't be thrilling, but the Prius would coddle you by comparison for those 1500 miles and leave you with enough cash to fuel the return trip and more.

Magazine writers sometimes don't make good contact with their own Souls very well. They are mostly in business to push the heavy metal, and not the more rational metal. There's plenty of room for both, without denigration of either.

FranklinS likes this.