1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOUND DEADENER from GTMAT

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kknguyen1168, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi all

I would like to install this for my Prius 2010 for 4 doors ,back seats, and in the back in the spare tires, anybody use this product yet or have any info about this product please let me know before I buy it. It cost 109.99 for 50 sp ft 80mm.

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
    858-699-7604

2. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am pretty happy with peel & seal. A roll that is 6 inches by 25 feet cost $16.00
    I did my front doors and they are much quieter than my rear doors.
    I am not sure that expensive deadening stuff is cost effective.

3. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi

I heard a lot about Peel&seal, how thick are they? do you get any smell at all? reason I ask because I plan to do in back of my Prius too?, why you did not do the rear door? did you upgrade your speaker at all or just install the Peel&seal just because the Road noise?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

PS: if you did upgrade your speaker, may I ask what the name of those speaker and the size? do you have JBL system?

4. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Peel & seal is rougly 2mm thick. There is no smell.
    I have upgraded my front door speakers and my dash speakers.
    I put in kenwood kfc 1664S speakers in the doors, and
    pioneer ts a878 speakers in the dash.
    I have the base 2012 PiP stereo.
    Using the hole in the door where the speaker went, I was able to put in a layer of peel & seal covering about 2/3 of the door.
    I haven't gotten around to the rear doors yet. I plan on using the same kenwood speakers and more peel & seal.

You might consider covering the clear plastic film on the inside of the door. It can be peeled off for maintenance, but I am sure it doesn't help the sound. Some folks screw thin plywood or metal over it, and then use some deadening over it. I am sure it sounds better than mine, but would be a big hassle to remove if maintenance is needed.

The peel & seal reduced road noise a bit, but more importantly for me, it reduced the very tinny door sound.
    When I tap the outside of the front & rear doors the sound is totally different, and much deader on my front doors.

The dash speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers.
    Since the dash speakers have a really small capacitor to only pass high frequency, I added a 100 uf non polarized cap in parallel to let much more low frequency through. Based on my calculations, it is roughly 3db down at 400hz now, since I put in the big capacitor,
    I added 2 ohm resistors in series with the door speakers and dash speakers to increase the impedance of the combined speakers to roughly 3 ohms plus wiring losses, so I don't cook the factory head unit.

5. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three