1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound deadening for the v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Kensterfly, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have read many comments that some people think the v is too noisy at highway speeds but I have seen any discussion on sound deadening mods. You'd think there would be an aftermarket engine "blanket" that would mount to the inside of the hood. That would help a lot, wouldn't it. I know there are generic products that you can lay on the floor under the carpet.
    I have seen only one thread where an audiophile in Austin did this as part of a $2700 upgrade to make his v a rolling sound palace.
    Anyone take a simpler approach?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's lots of products available for this purpose, some of them even help.
    The engine compartment isn't an issue, I'd leave that alone. Wheel wells and floor pan to some extent need help. I prefer the concept of the dense pads that stick firmly to the steel panels. 3M sells one. Only by sticking to the steel can a pad actually effect the reverberation of sound through the panel. Spray-on rubberized coatings are similar in concept and can be applied to the outside of those areas. Simple insulating pads also help, but don't really address the true issue which is sound reverberating through metal panels. Toyota is already using rubber panels, just not enough of them. Its a trade off of weight vs effectiveness. The rear floor pan and wheel wells are the easiest to access. Removing the plastic panels from the outside wheel wells also allows access for spraying on rubberized undercoating.

None of this is easy or quick, and all of it adds weight.

3. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can also look at tire noise levels and reviews. Along with a review of roads in your area. The grooved roads are going to make noise no matter what you do. :)