1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound quality of JBL Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gil, Feb 26, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rydot\";p=\"68754)</div>
    It could very well be EQ'd digitally, especially since the amp is completely network controlled.

2. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Well, I have 2 nice pairs of tweeters that are $40 for each tweeter. They are soo nice. I'm gonna put them in the prius when I get it. I also got some other goodies that my dad gave me like 2 ported speakerboxes with 6" sub-midranges and a horn in each box, 400 watt 4 channel amp, crossovers, and I forget what size the door ones are and the rear 2 ways. I wanna put that system to work soooo bad. :mrgreen:

3. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

You may want to shop some of the premium systems available as factory options. Of course, they're not attached to hybrid vehicles... The harman/kardon sound system in my MINI Cooper (and similarly, other BMW models) is excellent. Likewise the Bose surround sound systems in Inifiniti and Cadillac is a treat. Toyota uses Mark Levinson in Lexus models and has been rated very highly. JBL doesn't seem quite up to par from my test drive, but better than run-of-the-mill factory offings.

I'm still shopping for a Prius. I did notice the front-heavy balance is a bit detracting.

If I ended up with different speakers, there are some nice Polk Audio models I saw on Crtuchfield's website that look like they might fit. That would go a long way, so long as the electronics are producing a good signal in the first place.

4. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

Well, having now lived with JBL sound for a little over a week, I think I have found an EQ setting for myself. With the balance/fader centered, I've settled into +1 on the bass, -2 on the midrange, and -3 on the treble. This seems like the smoothest freqency response that doesn't muddy the stereo imaging.

What I observed was a lack of mid-bass (100-200Hz range) more-so than lower frequencies and too bright in the lower treble range (like 4k-8k). By running the midrange below normal, it seems to return some emphasis to the lower range void. Having the treble even lower than that takes some of the brashness away. It sounds so much more natural--not as "over mic'd" and tinny.

The stereo imaging was almost lost in the overboosted treble. Instrument placement is much more specific now. I also found that imaging really suffered if the rear speakers were boosted (fade to back). Their positioning throws some more treble over my shoulder that was quite disruptive to the sound stage.

At this point, I'm actually surprised how happy I am with the sound quality. I may want to upgrade the rear low-range driver to one that can carry the deepest bass, but it's not the urgent matter I thought it would be from test drives.

Now I can concentrate on other little upgrades, like auto locks and getting that "I agree" thing taken care of...

I'm really enjoying the 6-CD changer. It works very well.

FYI,
    Gary

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before installing a subwoofer, you might want to try what several people have suggested on a different thread; disconnect the center speaker. I did this last week and I was really impressed with the improved sound quality and increased separation. To remove the speaker, start with the side facing into the interior of the car. You can use something soft like a plastic spatula, but I was able to lift it out with my fingers. Disconnect the connector (pushing down on the release tab), put the wire back into the dashboard opening and replace the speaker. It's a quick 2-minute fix that will make a noticable improvement to the sound system.

6. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too have just disconnected my center speaker and am very surprised in the level of improvement. My wife even thinks that the sound has greatly improved....almost to the level of her stock Subaru Legacy.

I have never had an audio system in a car disappoint me more. I am surprised that someone from Toyota or Harman (JBL) has not noticed the poor performance and suggested an improvement as I am sure this is not helping the JBL (Harman) name. I wish that Sidney Harman would buy a Prius and has to listen to his poor audio system.

7. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

8AA,

Wow, what a great tip!! I can't believe how bad the sound from that center speaker was. Not only did I unplug it, I unscrewed it from the bezel and completely removed it from the car. That's another 8.9oz less weight to drag around.

This also opens up that space on the dash... assuming the signal to that spekaer hasn't gone through a hi-pass filter, could this be a mounting point for a quality aftermarket subwoofer?

Thanks again!
    Gary

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can cover it up with a dashmat. They do not cut the holes for any speakers in the dash.

9. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

10. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gaulfinger\";p=\"83781)</div>
    Thanks Gary, but I can't take credit for discovering this easy fix, I just wanted to pass on the information to others who are disappointed in the alleged "premium" audio system.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, it does seem to be hooked up to a high pass filter. Isn't it on this thread?

12. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the general rule is aftermarket > stock. Personally, I have not seen any exceptions to the rule; even my sister's friend who got a BMW 320 recently. It's alright if you don't listen to a lot of music, but I like my music at a decent volume with clarity through all frequencies.

I'll give the JBL a shot, but I'll be installing my amps and sub from my old car along with a new set of components since my old ones got squished. One 10" sub is all I run... I'm not really a BIG bass person, but I like to feel the precense of sound :)