1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound quality on Dice Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusFTW, Apr 3, 2007.

1. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 4 2007, 04:14 AM) [snapback]417507[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Apr 3 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]417298[/snapback]</div>

Olson indicated his sound was better and clearer sound in his 07 prius using the Dice unit as compared to the Aux In. I noticed that he has Package 3, and I have Package 2.

Does anyone know if the head units are all the same in the 07 or are they different based on packages ?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 4 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]417548[/snapback]</div>

They're different, one has a has the single CD player and the other has the Six Disc. I think the first package to offer the six-disc is 5? That's what I have right now.

3. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 4 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]417919[/snapback]</div>
    I guess what I meant are they any different in quality?

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 4 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]417922[/snapback]</div>

Got me. I doubt that if it was intentional for the package 2 to have a lower quality radio than the 3, since my 5 has the same thing.

5. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 4 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]417938[/snapback]</div>

I'm trying to make sense as to why Olson says he gets better quality sound in his 07. I just don't understand this.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 4 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]417952[/snapback]</div>

This sort of thing isn't terribly uncommon. Usually it's because a car company contracted multiple companies to make the headunit. They may both be given the same design, but one company ends up making an inferior unit than the other.

7. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

PriusFTW directed me to this thread...thanks.

I was asking on another thread what navigation is like on the different integration units. it is pretty unclear to someone like me who has never had a car with a touch screen or controls on the steering wheel how it all works.

But now I have to say that I am reconsidering going anywhere near any kind of integration with this stereo. and I am nervous about changing the whole unit out completely and having it work with the steering wheel and touchscreen.

If I understand this correctly the Prius factory unit has trouble with certain MP3 files but not with all? Is that right?

This trouble is the same weather the files come from an ipod or from an MP3 burned to a CD, right?

I think that I am planing on just installing an isolating trasformer behind the aux unit and givig up on using the steering wheel or touch screen to navigate. it doesn't seem worth it. Has anyone ever opened up the center console to get an isolator in behind the aux (why didn't toyota just put this in, it's like a $2 part)?

I look forward to seeing the findings.

...one more question. Can I est if my stereo will play MP3s well but using an MP3 CD and pretty much trust that if it sounds fine on a burnt CD it will sound fine on the Ipod?

8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 4 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]417919[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know what you mean by head unit. I thought those were the things on the front of car radios that you could detach so the radio won't work so thieves wouldn't bother stealing them. I guess it means the whole radio unit? Then why call it a head unit?

We do have the 6 disc CD player. Now that we've got the DICE unit for our iPod I don't use the CD player anymore. Our iPod with the DICE unit sounds just as good as CDs when the vehicle is moving (road and wind noise reduce the clarity of music).

Note that MOST of my music is imported into iTunes and my iPod from CDs. And I import them at 256 kbps and not something lower.

For the music that I do buy from iTunes, it downloads at 128 kbps which has MUCH better sound quality to MP3 songs at 128 kbps.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Apr 8 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]419958[/snapback]</div>

The headunit is what you work the controls with and (usually) houses the brain of the radio, alot of aftermarket radios have a feature that's call a Detachable Face - that's what you're thinking of.

10. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 8 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]419985[/snapback]</div>
    Ok I did some more testing. I tried plugging in the aux in cable into the dice unit and i get nothing, no sound or anything even when I switch to aux or cd mode on the unit. Do I have to adjust dipswitches?

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 8 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]420052[/snapback]</div>

What do you mean CD mode, on the headunit you pressed CD and then AUX?

To listen to what's plugged into the 3.5mm on the DICE, active it and go to DISC 5, TRACK 2.

12. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 01:32 AM) [snapback]420112[/snapback]</div>

Ok I'll try it again. You know using the Dice unit i get alot of scratchy / staticty type sound. I thought it was when playing an audiobook only, but I can clearly hear it now when I play music too.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 9 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]420201[/snapback]</div>

Is it during a certain pitch or range of sound? Or can you hear it when there's silence in the song or audiobook?

I'll replace the unit if you like, to be safe.

14. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]420394[/snapback]</div>
    It is certain pitch range of sound, it is not when there is silence. I'm thinking of completely returning this and going with the vais tech.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 9 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]420549[/snapback]</div>

It's the car. I don't think it's going to matter what you use since I've ruled out the DICE kit. Still, I'd be interested in the results of going with the VIAS.

16. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]420552[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I ordered the Vais, I'll see what I find out. I dont' get the scratchy noise when i use aux in or from a direct cd, only thru the dice unit do i notice it.

17. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]420552[/snapback]</div>
    I have both the VAIS unit and a DICE unit. I've tested both units and I've found any problems with sound are NOT related to the unit (VAIS or DICE). In terms of functionality, the DICE has worked MUCH better for me. You can see a lot more information (in terms of artist, album and song) with the DICE unit. In fact, anyone who wants a VAIS unit, I'll be happy to sell mine...

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 9 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]420558[/snapback]</div>
    I was able to reproduce the sound by burning the same MP3 file that was on my iPod to a CD. Try that. Don't use a program that auto-modulates the sound either - I just drag and dropped it using Window's built in burning software.

19. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]420560[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, just burned 3 songs that were giving the scratchy sound when using the dice unit, including an audiobook, and i played the cd i just burned in the car. It sounds absolutely fantastic. No scratchy noise or anything, sounds great like when i play my ipod directly to the aux in port in the center console of the car.

20. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 9 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]420584[/snapback]</div>

Then to be safe, I'd like to swap out the unit.