1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound system in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by thehamm99, Jul 19, 2007.

1. thehamm99

thehamm99 New Member

I have a 2007 Prius, I also have a very nice 12" subwoofer and a nice amp....I don't know much at all about car audio...Has anyone put extra sound into their Prius? Does it mess with the Electrical? Does it void the Warranty (6/yr 100k miles)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lots of people, including myself, have done various upgrades to the sound system. The only way you'd void your warranty is if you mess up the install REAL bad. You won't need to mess with the high voltage system. If you've done car audio before, there's not a whole lot of difference with the Prius. It may actually be a bit easier since the 12V battery is sitting right in the trunk where most people tend to put their amps, signal processors, etc,...

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thehamm99 @ Jul 19 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]481790[/snapback]</div>
    It's just occurred to me last weekend while ripping out the rear hatch to add sound dampening that the two cavities on the two sides of the hatch would make a great place to put custom subwoofer enclosures. The one on the right (above the battery) especially, since there's no "secret compartment" underneath it.

Has anyone done something like that?

4. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think someone put in some 8" subs there. I have some eD 6.5" subs that I'll fibreglass into the cubbies eventually. It'd be handy to downshift to those when I go camping. The 10" sub box I'm currently using, occupies a good chunk of real estate.

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

If you have the JBL system i would suggest installing Dynamat, posting my thread on it today.

6. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

Pics of your installations, please?

7. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 19 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]481842[/snapback]</div>
    My local shop had done enough Prii that they had molds to make their fiberglass sub enclosures into these wells. Their usual recommendation was 2 subs, one per side, but when pressed they'd indicate they got slightly better sound from one bigger sub in the left side. The subs were tiny -- 6" were standard, 6.5" max in the small enclosure. I think you could go as big as 8" on the one big sub, if you ported it, but that adds another level of math to your enclosure tuning.

I finally went in to add subs to my Prii, and they had shut down their mobile sound operations in May. :(

8. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]481842[/snapback]</div>
    Someone made custom fiberglass housing for those cavities in this thread

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1725

but all of the links and the attachment seem to be broken.

9. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 24 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]484134[/snapback]</div>

Do you have any contact information for the local shop? I'd like to know how much it'd be for a set of fiberglass enclosures. I'd rather not work with making my own, if the price is right :)

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 24 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]484358[/snapback]</div>
    You should ask if they'd be willing to sell you the mold. Then not only can you make your own, you can build them and sell them to other Priuschatters! I wonder if their molds are different for the left and right side.

11. martinisaacanywhere

martinisaacanywhere Supa Memba

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm making these enclosures, Called HIDASUB. If you're interested, PM me

12. Gotama

Gotama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    hi all,

I just bought a 2006 Prius T Spirit VV-I and was wondering regarding installation of a sub. I have a dual 12" sub and a 900W amp. I was wondering if the 12V battery can handle it ? I like to use the car as a sound system for about 4 hours during BBQ's and stuff like that. What power can be used for 4 hours without draining the battery while the alternator charges. Need to have an idea of what power can be sustained while the car is charging the battery.

Also, does the standard stereo come with a jack output which I can send to an amplifier at the back.

Appreciate any feedback
    Cheers

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    does your car have jbl? there is no speaker output jack so if you have the jbl system that will determine how you have to connect the amp to the car. as long as you leave the car on so that the engine will run to recharge the battery you should be fine using you car as a boombox at bbq's.

14. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's my Dayton Audio sub. I have a Alpine 5 channel amp, processor and changer in that lower compartment. Had a guy on eBay make the fiberglass sub box for 300. Screenshot_20181122-071936.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.