1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound while coasting (<20mph)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ihf, Sep 12, 2021.

1. ihf

ihf New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius PHV
    Model:
    LE
    I have a brand new 2022 Prius Prime (150 mi). When the car is coasting, there is a sound that begins at ~21mph (sort of a high pitch whir). Can anyone tell me if this is normal and, if so, what causes it?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it the VPNS -- Vehicle Proximity Notification System? That is the low speed noisemaker to alert pedestrians to the moving "silent" :rolleyes: vehicle. On my older model, it is a 'spaceship' noise reminiscent of the Jetsons, but sounds changed on later models. Here is one of several threads on the topic:
    Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) | PriusChat

xliderider likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    These Primes make a lot of different and funny at times sounds. Some of them have been positively identified and some of them haven't yet.
    I'm wouldn't tell you to not to worry about it, although I'll suggest keep listening to see if and when the sound changes or goes away completely as some seem to.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normal and federally mandated. Write to your congressman and senator. In previous years you could adjust the volume. Now it's non-adjustable and ridiculously loud.

6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The OP says the sound comes on at about 21 mph. The pedestrian warning system is on from 1 to 15 mph. No need to get the politicians involved in this case.

7. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    We have a 2005 Prius and a 2021 Prime in our 2-car garage. The weird spaceship sounds of the Prime are more audible in the rest of the house than the ICE sound of the 2005 Prius, at least as amplified by the garage space.

Blind pedestrians are less at risk in a parking lot, with the VPNS, and that is a good thing, but I do wish the volume were a tad lower.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    15 vs 21 mph is pretty easy to misread while decelerating.

But here's how to tell if it's the noisemaker or something else. Does it do the same thing but even louder in reverse?

dtsexpert and Ovation like this.
  9. seancca

seancca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah yes lets try and disadvantage those with handicaps more by not allowing them to know a silent vehicle is driving around.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many better traditional ICE vehicles are now as silent too, inaudible to anyone with any significant degree of age related hearing loss, but remain exempt from this noisemaker rule.

#10 fuzzy1, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  11. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I have a 2021 and when accelerating the VPNS doesn't stop until you reach 26 mph. When decelerating the VPNS resumes at 21 mph. To get it to stop while driving in residential neighborhoods you have to accelerate past the speed limit and then lower back down.

#11 PiPLosAngeles, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  12. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Do you have actual data to support that hybrid or electric vehicles are more dangerous to handicapped people than other vehicles? The study that was used to support the current regulations was ridiculously flawed and even then didn't support the conclusion. The logic behind the assumption is flawed. Specifically, it requires the assumption that ICE vehicles are louder than hybrid or electric vehicles.