1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soundproofing Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by RobertZ, Jun 30, 2018.

1. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Gen IV-4 is a 2016. I think part of the reason it seems so loud is that you feel like you are sitting really low in it. With it being so low to the ground you are closer to the road or at least I feel closer to the road.

As a matter of full disclosure Ema has Dynamat Extreme installed in her doors, floors and trunk. If not for that then Evey would be very comparable. Again the Primes seem to sit lower than the Gen IIs to me. I never owned a Starship Enterprise Prii (Gen III - flying bridge) or an original Gen I so don't know how they sound.

Chris

Starship16 likes this.
  2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've added a good amount through my whole gen 2. Only the roof of which I'd like to add some. Made a big difference that was well worth it. Apply pieces to the outter door skins on the loose tinny areas. Knock on them and you'll know where it's needed. Then apply big pieces to cover the big open areas from the inner door skin to the car. The doors will make a big difference. My doors sound pretty solid tapping on them, before like a tin can. I used a lot of dynamat extreme. Plus vinyl based stuff for hole coverage on the inner door skins, Parts Express used to sell.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Starship16 likes this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine is the 2016 Three model. And yes, it does seem to sit lower. Plus, I'm a tall guy and have the seat lowered all the way down. :ROFLMAO: TidelandPrius pointed out that the glass is not double-pane in the Two or Three model. Why would Toyota skimp out on that?!

My amateur attempt at decreasing some noise, was to line the spare tire well with some stick-on felt stuff. And I also have the all-weather mats sitting on top of the carpet mats. Neither of those reduced any noise. But overall, it's a great car.

photo 3.JPG

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it's extra cost. (As a side note, all Prime's do get the double pane front door windows probably because they're in EV mode for a greater percentage of the time).

It's the same reason only my top-of-the-line Technology package has water-repellent front door glass while all other models don't (just standard glass). FWIW, the water-repellent feature is still working after 9 years.

Starship16 likes this.
  5. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That you all for the feedback. I am waiting for order to come in.
    I will try to take pictures of tear down and application.
    I intend to purchase Spectrum spray on material from Second Skin for wheel wells.
    My wife has 2009 Rav-4 which has horrible road noise so intend to cover wheel wells for her car as well.

audiodave likes this.
  6. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd avoid the spray on stuff.. did a bunch of research and the effect appears to be minimal at best.. proper sound proofing is much more involved.

7. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am thinking of adding wheel well spray on for Prius after I do inside 2 layer sound proofing.
    I am afraid real culprit is fire wall which is not easy to get to. I wish Toyota would sound proof fire wall properly.
    For comparison I downloaded iOS app to measure decibel levels. I measured 3 cars.
    Prius Prime 2017, Honda Accord V6 2008, Toyota Rav4-2009.
    Turns out Prime is quieter of all 3. I measure Prius on my drive back home about 35 minutes mostly on highway of different surfaces.
    IMG_4788.PNG IMG_4789.PNG IMG_E4790.JPG

8. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Try slow response and A weighting. That's what's used usually for real comparisons for sound

audiodave likes this.
  9. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I finally did a long enough drive in my Prime to be in hybrid mode for an extended period of time. I thought it was my imagination that it was noisier than my Gen II Touring, since most of my driving had been in EV before this, and I had quickly forgotten what a Prius ICE sounds like. You have confirmed my initial feeling - it is a bit louder than my former ride.

Being used to small cars, particularly Hondas, over the past 30 or so years, my Prii are soooo much quieter! I guess it's all relative.

10. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The free app let me use slow response but no A weighting.
    Here's the run with slow response.

Attached Files:

11. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As a preparation for my soundproofing project I tried to disassemble one door on the car.
    It was way too easier than I thought. I think it took me less than 30 minutes. Next time it will be even faster.
    See attached pictures and comments inside.
    My observations.
    1. There is a very little sound proofing material in the door that's why it's so noisy cabin.
    2. Toyota has improved the door design so it's very easy to take it apart. For example in the past there used to be regular plastic film glued for vapor barrier (meant single use). Instead now they have white plastic shield that can be taken off and put back.
    3. Apart from 3 hex screws everything else just pops out. I bought a trim removal kit from amazon, but it's not necessary, all I needed was a hex screw driver. I think I used blue instrument to pop the plastic lid in step-1.
    I will have detailed post when I do actual soundproofing.
    Door-back.JPG Door-outer-bottom.JPG Door-outer-top.JPG Trim-kit.JPG STEP-1.JPG STEP-2.JPG STEP-3.JPG STEP-4.JPG STEP-5.JPG STEP-6.JPG STEP-7.JPG STEP-8.JPG STEP-9.JPG STEP-10.JPG STEP-11.JPG

#31 RobertZ, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    padroo, Mark57, Starship16 and 6 others like this.
  12. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks a ton for the detail pictures. I've been planning on installing some deadening since I bought my prime in March. I just am super busy with other projects. I did receive my rockford fosgate dsr1 today and am excited to get my stereo setup all together.

Are you focusing on just the front doors or are you going all out? Do you happen to know how the front speakers some out by the windshield? I haven't found anything online and havent looked closely.

13. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's either something like a cover that pops off or from underneath.

14. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

I will be doing all 4 doors now that I see how easy it is. I also plan to take out front seats and pad under the carpets.
    Hopefully wheel wells too.
    The front two speakers are in the door as you can see by the pictures. Not sure there are any under the dashboard.
    Good luck with your stereo project.

Robert

Starship16 likes this.
  15. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Quick update:
    I got the SecondSkin package, weight was 70lb. I am sure 60 LB is what I will add to the car :)
    It took me almost 2 days to dismantle 4 doors and apply Damplifier PRO (vibration damper) tiles and on top of it Luxury Liner PRO, sound proofing sheets. It takes time to measure so many times and cut the LLP (The vibration tiles can be cut in small pieces and doesn't need to cover 100%).
    I will have pictures and door diagrams to help anyone else crazy enough to do this.
    I already feel the noise level going down (by 2-3 db).
    At 70MPH you can hold conversation without talking very loud.
    On rough road surface the tire noise is still there.
    I have yet to do floors and wheel wells.
    That should reduce the road noise even more.
    I am already enjoying the ride and sound isolation from surrounding traffic.

16. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That weight sounds much to high, where are you getting that weight?

17. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Package weight was 70lb. Those Luxury Liner Pro sheets are very heavy with rubber layer.
    In the package I had one can of adhesive and roller plus packaging. I figured less than 10 lbs for that.

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As well as absorbing high frequencies, the sound dampening changes the frequency that the metal vibrates at, especially door panels, it drops the frequency from in the 100’s to the mid 50’s, which also contributes to getting rid of unnecessary highs.

19. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That is some thick heavy stuff. You may have some issues getting the door panels back on. My purpose was to stop the loose tinny sound on the outer skins of the car. Mostly doors and back corners. Taping on the car sounds solid now. But I did do a lot of the floor and as much as I could get on the firewall. Hard to get up in there.

20. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five