1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sounds like it is running only on gasoline engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 05silver, Aug 16, 2011.

1. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

I'll try my best to explain my question but maybe not enough... (fingers crossed!)

Even though I said on the title "engine running", I am actually referring to the sound and vibration (like when engine is running).( Engine maybe running but I'm not knowledgeable enough to make conclusion.)
    I'm talking about the case when you just start the car or are one the road and stopped, all of sudden engine comes on for a min or two.

The problem I am having is that my car is always in that mode.
    It is not quiet anymore. It seems like engine is running all the time.
    By the way, I have 'check engine' light.
    My 05 has about 130k miles on it.

Now, should I take it to repair shop knowing this might be related to something that is not common to regular mechanic or take it to the dealer?
    Or maybe someone had same experience and can tell me what was wrong so I can be a bit more educated before I start calling local repair shops.

Thank you in advance!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Engine running all the time, check engine light on, is a symptom of the 12V battery being almost dead. Is the 12V the original? It could also be an issue with the inverter cooling pump -- have you had that replaced yet for free under the recall? If not, go ahead and visit the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 on possible 12V battery issue given age of car.
    +1 on possible inverter cooling pump issue due age and mileage.
    (A quick check is to take top off reservoir when engine is running and look for turbulence. None=bad pump. Pump runs all the time car is in Ready.)

+1 on going to dealer, hurry-up quick!

1 person likes this.
  4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well.......................did you do it? :cheer2: