1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sounds like the engine is revving really high?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by juhjuhjuhjames, Jun 2, 2018.

1. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I’m not sure if this is normal or not, but in hv mode when climbing a hill, it sounds like it’s revving at a really high level.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this just normal when it comes to the Prius? I’ve read a couple of threads (regarding other gen Prius, not prime) that it’s due to the small engine or insulation, which makes sense.

In comparison, it sounds almost like red-lining my old Subaru. And maybe I’m just skeptical because it’s completely quiet the other 95% of the time and I didn’t even know a prius could sound like this haha.

#1 juhjuhjuhjames, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  2. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have noticed the same. Looks and sound pretty awful and not even on very steep hills. If I know upfront that there will be hills, then I switch to EV mode near hill and switch back to HV mode.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Normal. The engine can reach 4000 or more RPM if the hill is steep enough (I've seen 5000 RPM on a Gen II). Remember, it's running the "Atkinson" cycle, which means it starts at about 1000 RPM idle. It has less HP than an Otto cycle engine and to get what you need, it has to rev. The HSD will take care of the engine, so "don't worry, be happy". ;)

breakfast, Starship16 and qettyz like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    normal, although someone else posted that after driving two 2017's and two 2018's, the 2018's were quieter.

Starship16 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try pushing a car (a car that can be off and in neutral, preferably) on level ground. It takes some effort, but it's doable. Now say the car encounters the slightest amount of upgrade: it quickly becomes impossible, keeps rolling back on you. Now make that a steep, unrelenting uphill climb: it's the toughest job, hauling tons of steel up a steep incline.

Starship16 and qettyz like this.
  6. It's even higher in CHG mode... (n)

Starship16 likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our Gen-3 Prius, same 1.8L engine block, was software limited to 5,200 rpm, maximum rpm and power. Even cheap, Harbor Freight OBD scanners can confirm this. As for our Prius Prime, I haven't even bothered to measure it.

The Prime is so much better than the Gen-3 Prius, if you are 'disturbed' by the sounds, it is time to get a ScanGauge and take some metrics. Otherwise, it is someone choosing to complain instead of doing the heavy lifting, actually measuring the car metrics.

Bob Wilson

breakfast likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or maybe there's a leak in the exhaust.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, let’s not make this political.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think what we hear is intake noise. Not a worry.

11. Petedxcq

Petedxcq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On this hot Midwest July Day in West Michigan, I heard and felt a higher-than-usual rev on my 2nd Gen (2005) while leaving a parking lot. Seemed to clear itself up on a four-mile highway ride, but initial acceleration yielded noticeably high rpm and concurrent "low mpg" in Drive. Felt as if it was in B mode. Thought I caught a slight "oily" odor from the vent, but might've been freaking myself out. Will have to keep monitoring. (141k miles).

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you have an actual read out of engine rpms? On a hot day, the radiator fans and compressor will be running more often. Considering the car's age, there is a good chance they aren't as quiet as when new; a bearing in them could be failing. If the fans were the cause, the sound going away once on the highway would make sense as airflow for cooling wouldn't need the help from the fans.

My second guess, that I favor more, is that the battery pack was warm after the drive too the lot and sitting in the sun. So the system decide to lean more on the engine until it felt the battery had cooled down enough.

breakfast and Starship16 like this.
  13. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Normal CVT stuff

Starship16 likes this.
  14. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not unusual especially if you ran the air conditioning a bit before starting to drive. In my 2009 it was especially noticeable as the air used up a good portion of the hybrid battery charge if I sat in the car parked with the air running on a call or doing something; and then the ice engine had to work harder to get the car rolling without much battery assistance. This is much less noticeable on my Prime. Certainly a heat soaked car and interior takes maximum cooling to get the air conditioning components and car interior cooled down. Sounds normal that the economy and possible performance would be impacted for the first few miles.

breakfast and Starship16 like this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My non-Prime 2016 has groaned & growled since day one. That little 1.8 engine can get loud, even when not climbing a hill. A brisk start from a stop can bring on the CVT symphony. There may well be a lack of sound insulation in the firewall, or very little. I've grown accustomed to the sound and it doesn't bother me. It's just a part of the Prius experience. :)

#15 Starship16, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any codes?

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was funny during my first test drive. I told the salesman to take the wheel first, so I could just sit there as a passenger and listen to everything. He accelerated quickly down the freeway ramp and I got my first experience of hearing the gas engine and CVT. It definitely was not quiet. I didn't expect that from a hybrid vehicle.

He then tried to "explain away" the engine noise. And also the road noise which was quite loud. But there is just no denying it, my engine growls when you give her the gas.:)

#17 Starship16, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    breakfast likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hybrids are still an ICE car.

A non-hybrid can easily be quieter than a hybrid, and the hybrid made quieter, but noise insulation adds weight.

Starship16 likes this.
  19. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    "We can put a man on the moon.... but we still have old-fashioned heavy sound insulation." :LOL:

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It likely has been improved, but it takes a bunch cutting out engine and road noise.;)