1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Source for metal oil filter housing replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Yosarian, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Yosarian

Yosarian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm basically a Gen 2 guy, but I go out of my way to try and help anytime I see a hybrid on the side of the road. Yesterday it was an 80ish widower in a 2014 that had just shat out its oil while he was traveling down the interstate. By total coincidence, my buddy & I were going the opposite way hauling a dolly that we were going to use to pick up another project Prius (our hobby/pastime).

Long story longer, the poor guy had been depending on a tire center for his routine maintenance, and 1st look at his filter showed that the plastic housing had suffered pretty significant abuse (I'm guessing Mr. Tire employees don't pack the fitted removal tool). Just to double check my hypothesis he added more oil and as soon as the engine started the oil literally shot out under pressure from the side of the housing base. I hauled the guy's car back to my shop & sent him home in one of my spare Gen 2's, and then ordered the appropriate adapter to allow me to remove the housing properly. Gonna do so with a torque wrench just to test my theory that the old one was seriously over-torqued.

The old guy intends to keep the car forever, so as long as I'm busy doing my good deed, I figured I'd like to replace the original w/ something more substantial - assuming I can find one. No problem finding OEM Toyota upgrade of the similar plastic crap on trucks & other sedans, but no joy on the Gen 3 front. So please share if you've located an aluminum replacement for this. I've seen some talk about adapters to allow spin-ons, but it seems the metal replacement housing would be a workable compromise price-wise.

ASRDogman likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was a failed design that Toyota bailed on once they realized the liability issues. Basically, the design creates a situation where the oil change person can use an impact driver to get it loose and then they dumbly use an impact drive to tighten again because its the closest tool at hand, which ends up eventually destroying it. I got a long list of all the design failures in early Gen3 Prius. A total disgrace really. Most of these "advancements" on the list were removed from Gen4 design.

Anyways, your best bet is to buy an adapter, that converts the oil filter back to standard store bought oil filter in its own can. You can also replace part that the crappy plastic canister screws into with the one that uses standard oil filter in its own can. That way idiots with impact drivers can't be tempted to be an idiot. Of course the only way to idiot proof an oil change is to do it yourself!

#2 PriusCamper, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased one on Amazon last year to replace my plastic oil filter cap. The one I purchased is not available, but if you do a search with "oil filter housing cap assembly 15620-40030 with oil plug 15643-31050" you will find some on Amazon. It is good for the 2010 to 2014 Prius and other Toyota models.

I installed mine in October 2021 and it has worked out very well.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a link in my signature, what I purchased. Very cheap through Amayama, I think cheaper than US owners purchasing through US online dealerships.

Earlier in the aforementioned thread, a bit more info:

Spin on oil filter | PriusChat

My costs in CDN dollars, in 2019, through Amayama (ignore the wiper blades). No extra charges incurred:

upload_2022-11-1_9-8-49.png

Roughly $90 CDN, all-in.

To circumvent Amayama's propensity to only show you the "correct" parts, I said my vehicle was 2018 model year (which has the spin-on style oil filter)..

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Paul E. Highway and PatrickBrian like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Searched all over ebay and Amazon, don't know why they are so hard to find now.

This is the little cap that screws on the end.

15643-31050 https://a.co/d/7pENx50

This is the oil filter housing, but based on the delivery date, I'm guessing it is coming from China and not a US based seller. Note that the Prius is not listed, but the Matrix, Corolla, Scion IQ, Yaris, and Auris are listed. The Prius takes the same oil filter housing as these vehicles.

X AUTOHAUX Car Oil Filter Cap Assembly Housing for Toyota IQ Yaris Corolla Auris for Scion IQ 15620-40030
    https://a.co/d/g0gM4e0

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe you need the cap. There is a special tool you screw into the cap to drain the oil from
    the filter housing. I think it pushes a spring loaded plate so the oil can be released.

#6 ASRDogman, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  7. tallprius

tallprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    there is a spin on adapter which looks very robust from BAXTER PERFORMANCE it is number TS-401-BK, it looks great and is $250 dollars. The device was highlighted on the "Two Guys Garage" show on Motortrend TV.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ??? You can drain the original filter housing by partially unscrewing the original plastic cap, stopping when the drain slot in the threads is at the bottom. Nothing screws into the cap.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You didn't read everything...
    I was talking about the aluminum filter housing that some use as a replacement to the
    plastic on. The one they are talking about has a round flat piece that screws into the top,
    or actually, the bottom, that you remove and incert the plastic drain into, that has an "O" ring
    so you can drain the filter. So when you remove it the oil doesn't spread all over.

It is not "needed" on the Prius becaus it is sideways and just loosening it will allow the oil to
    drain and not making a mess.

10. ilovegirls

ilovegirls Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did this work as a replacement for the plastic oil filter housing cap?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it did. I have installed them on three different vehicles so far (2011 Prius, 2014 Corolla, 2016 Corolla) with no problems.

They basically look similar to the OEM metal oil filter housing on our 2010 Camry V6, only smaller. Those are the ones that pop up when you search eBay, and will fit the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus V6 vehicles.

ilovegirls and mjoo like this.