1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Source other than dealer for abs booster assy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Caldwell, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the leaking accumulator code on my 2014 Prius. It didnt fail until around 160k mi and so the Toyota dealership is going to charge thousands to fix it. I have to do the brake booster replacement myself according to youtube video. I have techstream to do the bleeding/ calibration procedure.....if i can figure it out. The dealership wants over 1000.00 for a new brake booster assy. Unaffordable! Is it possible to buy a rebuilt/ refurbed unit? Theres no way to get one at a reasonable price? I did check Rockauto and they dont have this part. For now, i have Bluedriver dongle which i leave installed in port. The brake boost often works fine for 100- 400 miles at a time. When it fails i pull over and just reset all codes on the cellphone app. And its fixed and the brakes work perfectly again for a while.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Uhh I've see these realistically priced it's the gen 2 that's not avail . The Gen 3 I see daily I own a persona. Haven failed the gene accumulator pump yet

SM-A715F ?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer is it for new. Some online dealers are less than others. No reman. The only other choice is used, however many used sellers are not aware there are different revisions even in the same year. For example it is one part number for 15" wheels, another for 17", another for a Prius v wagon. So you have to look up your exact part number by vin and then find a used part in a car with a vin to cross its number.

Finally gen3 uses two parts, the brake booster pump and the master cylinder assembly.

Prius v version:

Attached Files:

#3 rjparker, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Which one is that; the one with the term "pump"?

Looking it up on Amayam, the taster cylinder assembly (topmost one, with reservoir) is showing $2216 CDN and $2646 CDN (two versions) for me here:

Brake master cylinder for Toyota Prius XW30, 3 generation, restyling 12.2011 - 11.2015 - Toyota Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

And the brake booster pump is showing $845 CDN:

Brake tube & clamp for Toyota Prius XW30, 3 generation, restyling 12.2011 - 11.2015 - Toyota Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

Only the second one is showing shipping charge for me, around $100 CDN. I'd hazard maybe $150 if it was both. So anyway, if it was just the pump involved, all-in for me would be around $945 CDN, converts to around $753 USD, at my doorstep.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As far as I know when I see the gen 3 pump accumulator what have you can be rebuilt I do believe I see them remanufactured and they guarantee they'll put the light off so wherever the pressure goes wonky or whatever happens somebody knows how to fix it

SM-A715F ?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The guy on eBay who does the Gen 2's was very cooperative matter of fact he sent out two parts for the Gen 2 the same accumulator and pump and said send back the one that you don't use. Nariword billed for only one. I believe he may be able to do the gen 3 I'll ask him I have no clue I think I've seen other remanufactured too

SM-A715F ?

7. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still not decided if I should attempt this repair or not. Yes i can replace components. But I only know the basic functions of Techstream. I'd have the obtain the procedure to bleed brakes and calibrate sensors and I hear its a pretty complex
    Procedure. Im in Texas, so I might be paying up the nose for shipping to get reman parts from Canada. Yea....I need a good reman source.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I did the repair on a gin two car an '09 everything went well I didn't drain everything it was only loose to the fittings I put everything back I could never get the car in the ready mode and just lost interest fooling with it everyone told me that they're sure I left something undone in the inverter which you have to have undone and swung over onto the upper core support similar what happened in a Gen 3 I do believe and so I just had to stop messing with it I took the battery out of that car bunch of other stuff and and car still here in my possession maybe someday I'll get it into a ready state but I doubt it

SM-A715F ?

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am about 98% sure there are no reman sources for the two gen3 brake booster parts. Some ebay sellers may say "reman" but all you get are cleaned up used parts. Even with a guarantee, the job is not an easy one so be ready to do it twice if the part is either wrong or bad.