1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Southern plumbing and Polar Vortex

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we lived in the DC area and Oklahoma, everyone knew unheated plumbing was bad news. So I was a little disappointed at the casual attitudes about water pipes and house construction in North Alabama. So we've had incidents over the years and until tonight, no busted pipes.

We have an unheated utility room and a pipe inside the washer broke. They break when they begin to thaw out and it is 34F outside. Fortunately it was easy enough to turn off the faucet that feeds the washer. Better still, it was a hot water pipe so it was 'less bad' than dealing with cold water. Still, it made a mess . . . something to work on Saturday . . . when the rains arrive. <sigh>

Yes, I use the 'water drip' method but it is hard to get a washer to 'drip' water. Still we got that washer back in the 1980s . . . nearly 35 years old.

Bob Wilson

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have no problems with my house, fortunately.

It was down to 3 degrees F on Tuesday.

I made sure that they installed "freeze resistant" hose bibs and made sure the hoses were removed.

The rest of the pipes are insulated under the craw space and the main lines are between the heated first and second floors.

I'm in South Carolina.

My brother balked at the extra expense and labor, when I insisted that he install insulation around the pipes in his unheated craw space without floor insulation, when I re-plumbed his house for him in South Georgia 7 years, ago.

Now he has nothing but praise. Not one sign of water hammer which he had before the re-plumbing and no frozen pipes.

3. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    We had 0 degrees the other night and I found a PVC pipe at our well head had burst. Just watered the countryside until I discovered it and turned off the pump. All is well with the well now.

I did place lots of insulation around it after the repair.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I only 'water dripped' the cold water as usually the vast source of heat that is your water heater keeps the hot pipes warmer. What I forgot to consider is that I had installed a tankless water heater. Ah well, it thawed in the early afternoon yesterday.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So this morning I'm headed out to the car and heard the water running sound. Apparently I just closed the valve on the ice and it continued to melt. A little more and it is off for sure.

I came into work at 4:00 AM so I'll be home in the daylight to start the clean-up.

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was a pipe actually in the washer itself? I'm thinking most washer makers assume the device will be in a heated area of the house, or at least a spot that won't see freezing temps. I think the only thing you can do is disconnect the washer and run hoses from the supply to a drain or outside to run a drip.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i remember reading about the nightmare in dallas area back in the late 70's or early 80's when they had a pretty substantial freeze and many municipal waterlines burst.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about the mess!!
    You might be able to get the washer back in battery depending on where it failed.
    When you get them pulled away from the wall maybe you can wrap some of the pipes.
    If the AGW doom and gloomers are right, then there will be another weather cataclysm that causes lower than expected winter temps and you'll be doing it all over again.
    Of course....when"Vortex fatigue" sets in and they stop selling commercials off of it they'll have to come up with another weather feature to monetize, which is why you don't hear them wailing about El Nino as much these days. :)

I made a temporary repair on a 1960's Maytag one time with epoxy that lasted for 6 years until something else broke...so it might not be time for your CFO to go washer shopping just yet.
    If she does?
    The newer ones are pretty dang efficient.
    I read where washer hoses are one of the top things that cause home damage if they're not replaced every XX years, so it might be a good time to do that as well.

Good Luck!

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was an old GE top loader and I've long wanted a front loader. The new one will be staggered with the dryer so:
    • Top of dryer holds the dirty clothes basket level with raised, front loader.
    • Front loader has a straight shot down to the dryer with the upside down basket as a 'catch'.
    • Dryer discharges into the right-side up, basket.
    Loading the detergent, bleach, and softener might take a 'step' but I'm OK with this. The biggest work is getting the damp cloths from the washer into the dryer without dropping them on the floor.

Bob Wilson