1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare 15" rims?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Elt31987, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So im thinking of getting winter tires and having those put on spare 15 factory rims. Does anyone know if the Gen III Rim is the same (without hubcaps, dont care about that in the snow)? Looking for the cheapest set of OEM rims to mount snows on

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a set of 15" steel rims for my 2009 Gen II from TireRack.com last year for $52 each, (including required lug-nuts) plus shipping. I looked around for a set of used OEM rims, but found some on eBay for ~$100 each, and about the same price from the local scrap-yard.

Elt31987 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went through this process in November 2010, just after purchase. I asked the parts department of the dealership we purchased from if there was a compatible Toyota steel rim. They responded "nope", and that the Prius is a "flagship vehicle", my options were extra 15" Prius alloys for $350 apiece, or 17" (shudder) for $390.

I then emailed every dealership I could think of in Greater Van, and one responded right away, saying they figured a Corolla steel rim would work (they weren't 100% sure, hadn't done one before), and quoted $70 per rim (new rims) and about $30 for a set of utilitarian lug nuts.

I went with this, had them mount and install everything, just so the onus was on them to ensure fit, and it worked out fine. The Corolla rim is exact fit on the hub too, no need for adapter rings.

The one thing bugging me was the open hubs, and what I ended up doing was getting some 2" ABS End Caps (heavy black plastic caps, readily available at hardware outlets, with I.D. of 2.375"), cut some "rubber bands" off an old bicycle inner tube and pushed them over the hub opening on the rims, then pushed the caps on. They're a very snug fit, held on fine.

The part's numbers:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

You could also get the Corolla wheel cover, they're pricey, and finicky, or aftermarket covers, they're likely a bit more fragile. And they're quite dated looking, not sure, just never pulled the trigger on that. Other people have got aftermarket alloys, quite nice looking, and not that expensive. That could be the "smartest" choice.

Also, the question of TPMS sensors will likely come up. I would suggest if at all possible just avoid them. It is a whole other level of complication/expense, when swapping between regular and snow tires.

Here's my funky setup:

upload_2016-10-14_7-44-43.png

pjm877, RCO and WilDavis like this.
  4. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know, i was just thinking of TPMS. GGRRRR

RCO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall to this day, the mechanic at the dealership the day I got ours, saying: "Do you want TPMS sensors", all the while emphatically shaking his head "no", lol.

It is no big deal, well if you can find a sympathetic tire shop. I understand they're supposed to install them in the states? If you decide not to get them, and find a shop that'll go along with it, the bottom line is a teensy warning light on the dash through winter.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    RCO and Elt31987 like this.