1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare fob hidden inside the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DumbMike, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recall reading a long time ago about hiding the spare fob somewhere outside the car in case you lose your main key. The problem (among others) was that the car will recognize the existence of the spare fob and will allow anyone to open the car door. Here's my thought:

What about keeping the spare fob inside the cabin, but wrapped in a bunch of aluminum foil to prevent the car's computer from recognizing that the fob is inside the cabin? Then keep the manual key hidden outside the car, somewhere (that thing is so small, you could probably put it anywhere and nobody would know what it is. So, if you lose your fob, you crawl under your car to get the manual key, open the door and dig out your spare fob wrapped in aluminum foil.

So, where am I going wrong?

Mike

Andyprius1 likes this.
  2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could take the battery out of the spare fob. That way it wouldn't be recognized by the SKS system. The mechanical key would still work, and you could start the car by holding the fob next to the Power button.

Okinawa and Jason dinAlt like this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wrapping with foil works fine. So does a metal can, assuming the lid seals well enough and makes a good electrical connection.

Alternately you can remove the battery.

Tom

Gshadow325 and ETP like this.
  4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or use an anti-static bag - the sort of thing that computer parts come packed in - this is what the EZ Pass folks give out with their toll transponders.

terramir likes this.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You are not going wrong Mike. Your idea works fine I have been doing it that way for two years.

6. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, where's a good spot to hide the spare manual key outside the car?

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If we tell you then everyone will know! :eek:

Seriously, I put mine in a small plastic bag to keep it clean and used a tie wrap to secure it to a "secret place" under the car. I don't remember exactly where it is but I think I can find it if I ever have to.

Chodronish likes this.
  8. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Chodronish and Eve like this.
  9. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everybody. Now I feel comfortable about doing this without much of a downside. Hiding the key is a different issue as I haven't taken this issue that far, but I think it should be rather easy to find a secure place. My other thought is that even if somebody found the manual key, all they could do is get inside the car but still can't start it without finding the SKS.

And please don't kill me for telling me the secret ....

Mike

10. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The secret SKS society.... shhhhhhhhhhh

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're talking about securing the little metal keylet to the outside---right?
    There are a few places in the rear behind the bumper that you can tie-wrap the keylet to...same with the front.
    You might get a little dirty (or wet) retrieving your key if you really need it. GOD has a funny sense of humor about that, but it will be a lot better than waiting for "Clarence the Tow Truck dude."
    Once I tie-wrapped the keylet to the exterior, I simply removed the battery from the SKS and placed it in a secure undisclosed location inside the car. As Tom pointed out, you can use the fob sans battery to start the car in a pinch, and that's all you really need for this application.
    KISS.

Caveat: Like Toyota, my beloved company does not follow the KISS principle. Following some unfortunate incidents (with other SKS victims...not me), they placed a "key Vault" on my car into which they placed my other SKS and keylet....*sigh*...

Edit: Another interesting aspect about this whole goat-grab is that, to the uninitiated, my key vault looks suspiciously like a plug port. About once a week, I have to tell some kid or eco-geek that....no, this isn't one of the new "Plug-in" cars that they're hearing about.
    :rolleyes:

12. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Where did they place the key vault? Is it outside of the SKS range or does the vault effectively shield the transmitter?

I have also seen people secure a doorknob type key vault like the kind Realtors use to the underside of a car before on one of the rear tow/tie down eyes.

I like the idea of just securing the key portion of the SKS fob. If you remove the battery will the SKS fob lose it's memory and or pairing to the car?

The only SKS problem I have is when my wife leaves her fob in the car and I try and lock the doors with mine…

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They put it above and slightly aft of the fuel door. I have a pix somewhere, but can't locate it right now. It shields the fob.

IIRC it won't---but you'll have to ask one of the SKS gurus. I am quite sure that you can remove the battery from the SKS and still use it to start the car if something happens to your primary unit---and this is sufficient for my needs.
    Quite frankly.....if 2 equally priced G3s were sitting on the lot and one of them had a regular old transponder-in-a-key start with an RF fob----I'd be all over that like a bum on a bologna sandwich!!!

However (comma!) my beloved company didn't ask me what kind of car I wanted to drive, and it's been entertaining and enlightening getting to know the G3 for the last 7-months/10,000 miles....SKS, goofy beeps, bifurcated rear view, and all! :D

1 person likes this.
  14. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's correct; if you remove the battery from the fob, you can still start the Gen 3 Prius by holding the fob near the start button. The SKS will not detect the battery-less fob, so you can hide a spare in the car. I figure that any tow-truck driver can get me into my Prius if I lose or damage the primary fob, but no one can start the car without a fob that is matched to that car. Whether you remove the battery, wrap it in foil, or keep it in an EMF-shielded bag, having a well-hidden fob may save your bacon some day. Alternatively, keeping a poorly hidden fob in your ride can facilitate grand theft auto and a call to your insurance company.

1 person likes this.
  15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note also that you can get a copy of the mini-key on a normal sized key. It may take a bit to convince a locksmith (they like exact copies), but all you need to get in the door is a mechanical blade that matches the mini-key.

Chodronish likes this.
  16. Bkkorupcountry

Bkkorupcountry New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little confused. If you lose your main key, how will you open the car door to get to the spare fob if it is in the car?

17. DrScooter

DrScooter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is actually a mini key that pulls out of the fob, on the side is a button that says "push" then just pull the little nub out. :cool: The point is one "hides" the mini key on the car's exterior, some way, then should you loose the main fob you can unlock the door and get in. Now mind you I "think" the case just pops apart to remove the battery but I have not done that myself.

ETP likes this.
  18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By carrying a spare metal key to open the door.

Tom

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends on whether the potential thief is "Prius savvy" enough to know that they have to touch a battery-less SKS to the Start button to start the car...and this is after they’ve gained access to the (supposedly) locked car's interior...which is pretty easy, but fairly noisy and conspicuous. Take the battery out of the SKS, and you can probably leave it on the front seat. However (comma!) just to be safer, I would (and did) hide it somewhere inside the car.

Priuses aren't even close to being a hot target for car thieves, and if they did want your car that badly, a drunk redneck with a tow truck can make it disappear in about 30 seconds.

20. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you want to hide a key inside your car? I don't get it. :confused:

Super Ted and Eve like this.