1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare smart key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brooksq, May 13, 2008.

1. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    o.k., I think I have read all the previous threads about spare smart keys but I still have a question...

I just bought an 05 prius and of course it only came with one smart key. Also, the little silver tag that has a key code on it was not attached either. I haven't lost my only key yet...but just trying to foresee the future :).

I don't want to go to the dealership and pay $250 for a new one. I would rather get one off ebay and save $100. My problem is that I don't know what the difference is between the black and silver emblem on the smart key? Anyone?

Unfortunately on my current key, it is mostly silver but you can see where there was black paint on it before. I am just assuming that because its an older car, the where and tear from handling the key has taken some of the paint off.

I would just hate to buy the wrong type of key from ebay and then be stuck $100. Any suggestions?

Also, the key I am looking at on ebay says the metal key is "uncut". Does anyone foresee a problem in taking my current metal key along with the "uncut" one and getting a duplicate made...like at Wal-Mart or something?

2. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Black one is a NON SKS system key fob. It will not work for your car if you have smart key system on your car. I have a spare Keyfob (Silver logo) i am selling for 90 dollars (what i paid for on ebay). I have posted the ad on the Private sale section. Send me a PM if you are interested.

thanks

3. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sorry, can you explain what a "NON SKS system keyfob" is? is your silver logo completely silver (meaning complete circle and emblem) or black background with a silver raised toyota symbol?

4. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    also, is the metal key cut or not? if it is cut for your car then wouldn't it NOT work for mine?

5. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are only 2 types of key fobs
    1 . Smart Key system which will unlock the doors when you get close to the car and you do not have to insert the fob in the key slot in order to start the car. (Silver Logo)
    2. The NOn SKS system will not open the doors automatically upon getting close to the car. These cars will only start if you insert your Fob into the key slot on the dash. (Black Logo). These come with the base model cars and sell cheaper around $75 on ebay.

The one i am selling is the with a silver logo. Click the link below to see the ad.

http://priuschat.com/forums/private-sales/47136-2008-prius-keyfob-90-a.html

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is wise to get a second one just in case.
    It will be at least $500+ if you lose your ONLY one SKS key.
    On Lexus, they charge you $1000 for it.

7. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

the seller on ebay is advertising below....should I not believe him about the fact that it is a "smart key" even though his is a black emblem and not silver as you suggest?

You are bidding on a genuine (OEM) key. It is a 3 button remote that has lock, unlock and a panic button. This also has a uncut emergency key on the side that will have to be cut to match your car. This one also has a black emblem on the back. Make sure you need the one with the black emblem, there is also a silver emblem key.
    CONDITION: This remote is in EXCELLENT CONDITION, it has been tested on a santronics keyless entry tester to ensure it works correctly. It also comes with a working battery.
    COMPATIBILITY: This will work on all of the following models equipped with a smart key entry system. Please check with dealer for programming. This has been programmed to a Prius before. Please check with a dealer before you bid, not after, that they will be able to reprogram it for you. The dealer must have special equipment to reprogram this to your car. Not all dealers have the tool to do this. There is no returns on this remote so do your homework before you purchase. My 60 day money back gurantee only applies to DOA ( dead on arrival ) units and since these are tested before they are shipped there will not be any DOA units. Again no returns on this item if the dealer can not do anything with this then use it for parts.

8. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please read what he says. "Make sure you need the one with the black emblem, there is also a silver emblem key."

Not sure why he says it will work with any car with SKS. The Black logo key fobs are for the NON SKS cars (Base model prius)

9. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeh, i just read somewhere else with someone saying MAKE SURE and get the silver logo. i also just read that someone had bought a "used" smart key from someone and the dealership couldn't "reprogram" it because it was set up for another car? know anything about that? i wonder if i will run into that problem if i buy from you?

10. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I contacted my dealer before i bought mine and would strongly recommend you do the same. The only reason the dealers say that (CANNOT PROGRAM) is to have you pay $250 for a new keyfob. Good Luck!

11. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are correct that the black logo fobs are for non-SKS system.
    But, like the seller says, those fobs will work (as dumb fobs) with in a car with SKS; the SKS features will not work. That is: no keyless entry; no start without putting the fob in the dash slot.

If the OP has SKS, he won't want the Ebay fob.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota TSB EL008-04 provides instructions regarding programming the Prius to accept a new Smart Key. The top of page 2 asks the mechanic to ensure that the fob has never been used by another Prius (presumably for security reasons.) So if your dealer's service dept follows this policy, they will refuse to program your car to work with a used fob.

A silver logo means that the raised logo is in silver paint while the rest of the fob is in black plastic.

Attached Files:

13. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry for being stupid about this. My 2008 came with the Smart Key system (standard) and two keys. One is kept on my key chain with all the other keys I use every day and the other is the spare key.

Are people here suggesting I should get a third key?

14. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have three drivers in our house, one of them a teenager. I'd rather have a third fob so that I don't have to scramble to replace the first one when (not "if") it gets lost.

15. phantom1947

phantom1947 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this. My dealer is buying me a new FOB at their expense as they sent me home with one FOB (SKS) that was not for my car. I'm not sure of the expense but they were unable to program the key and have now ordered a new "virgin" fob that should program with no problems.

Anyone that buys an SKS FOB on ebay that has been programmed for another car (and everyone I saw on ebay had been pre programmed) is in for a rude shock. All you can do with it is make it a dumb key that will start the car when it's in the slot. You cannot make it a smart key, you cannot make it unlock the doors with the buttons. Those ebay sellers know this and some tell you to contact your dealer but I'm guessing they are counting on you thinking you can self program the key. Far from it!

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard several times now that used keyfobs can be successfully programmed if the dealer does an immobilizer reset. You have to provide all of the keyfobs (not just the new one). The process takes longer, like maybe an hour instead of a half hour.

The immobilizer reset is the procedure used when all keys are lost.

17. Scrittibear

Scrittibear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just bought a used key FOB (black emblem) on Ebay for $96 - NON SKS with no metal key at all. Luckily, I do not have SKS on my 2008 Prius. The dealer quoted me $70 to reprogram it, and $8 to have a new spare metal key cut for the door. I have to take all of my FOBs for resetting. The dealer said that ONLY A 2007 or 2008 FOB will work on a 2008 Prius (you cannot use a 2004 - 2006) - so I will let you know how this works out! Keep yo fingers crossed kids!

18. gas-saver

gas-saver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi:
    Just to confirm:
    Q1) Even for a 2008 Prius with a smart key, will I be able to buy a key from a 2005 prius with a silver logo and make it work on my 2008? Dealers charge between 95 to 165 to program them.
    Also, someone said that I have to take both keys to the dealer and that the dealer has to reprogram both? Is this correct?
    Thanks

19. Scrittibear

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No - you cannot use a 2005 Smart key FOB on a 2008 Prius - you'll need to buy a 2007 or 2008 key (silver emblem/logo) for your 2008 prius. Also, you must take all of your FOBS to the dealer for reprogramming - total cost about $70 - $100 for reprogramming.

20. Scrittibear

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here's an update. I reprogrammed my used 2007 non-smart key (black logo) FOBs myself! I followed instructions in the knowledge base forum on Priuschat and it worked!! Note however that the (spare) FOBS will only start the car - you cannot (at least I couldn't figure out) how to reprogram the used ebay FOBS to unlock/ lock the doors - so instead I just had a few more metal keys cut.

If one day I decide to actually take all of my FOBS to the dealer, they can use their magic computers to reprogram all of the FOBS features for a $70 fee (start the car/ unlock doors/ etc....) - but for now I am happy - I now have two extra FOBS that will start my Prius should I ever lose my keys. Heaven forbid.