1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare tire delete

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mr.Electric, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed there is a bunch of space under the flat panel in the back. Even more if I toss the spare. I'm not worried about getting a flat, I have AAA. Many new cars don't have a spare anyways.
    If I pull out the spare the cargo area is raw metal and it lets through a lot if road noise. Anyone seem a fitted carpet for the rear with spare and tool set removed ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put down a nice piece of foam, cut to size. maybe spray some sound deadener first, or stick on pads.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of spray on options available. Undercoating would be tough
    and durable and also contribute to sound and vibration deadening.

SCH-I535

4. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good idea, sounds pretty easy to accomplish with the right can of gunk to apply.

5. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you choose to get rid of spare? Save weight?

What happens if you get a puncture? Call AAA and wait for to tow you home to get your spare?

6. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Delete the spare to gain cargo space. It is currently lacking. My honda fit holds significantly more junk in the cargo area. I drive in the city mostly so if wouldn't be that far to go to home or work and grab one of my extra stock wheels.
    Ever wonder what happens to the millions of people driving cars that don't come with a spare like Nissan leaf or almost any newer gm sedan? The tire pressure light paired with modern tires and a can of fix a flat address almost all tire issues.

7. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep - my Prius III gen - European - doesn't have spare too. The repair kit is available instead. In case of longer trip I can always put the spare summer (or winter) wheel of which I have full set in my garage :) Anyway plenty of tyre repair shops are in my area so no worries :)

8. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah ok. If you're operating in a city mainly, it would be do-able.

A few of my colleagues drive BMW 520s which don't have spares, just run flats and it is a serious pain in the nice person for them having to buy a new tyre every time they get a flat.

I just like the idea of having all the bits I need in the back so I can get it changed in 5 minutes and continue on my way.

I do agree with the space though, once the spare is out, there's so much more room

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perfect for more batteries!

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the maybe artificial peace of mind at least having a spare affords me.

But I think the future is less and less having a spare, and more and more simply having a tire repair kit.

Less weight, less cost to the manufacturer and with most people carrying cell phones, the idea of getting stranded is pretty remote.

Even with a spare I've thought about getting one of those "instant flat repair" kits. If it's cold, wet, raining or snowing, it's a lot easier to hopefully repair the flat, pump it up and drive on, then get out and physically change the entire tire.

Anyone have any experience with the Fix a Flat or Slime type of kits? Fortunately for me it's been a lot of years since I've had to change a flat.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except for those of us who travel frequently in places that still have considerable amounts of white space on the cellular coverage maps.

12. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used them in the distant past, but now, with the advent of TPMS I just don't trust any of them not to crud the devices up to the tune of a $200 tire repair (repair tire and purchase of a new sensor).

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a lot of talk about this in the pip section (doesn't come with a spare) slime just doesn't make anyone comfortable. towing is a major pain, leaving option 3, add a spare.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Certainly, but I'm looking at the whole picture. In other words, if you carry a spare repair kit, and a cell phone, the situations or possibilities that you would be dangerously or irrevocably stranded just because you aren't carrying a legitimate spare, I think are still rightly defined as remote.

I actually hadn't thought of that. I haven't bought either Slime or Fix-A-Flat "yet" but I have looked at them at the store. I think both Fix-A-Flat and Slime now claim to NOT damage TPMS sensors. However after going to their sites, the "Not Damage" part seems contingent on the eventual tire repairer or replacer properly and thoroughly cleaning the substance off the TPMS sensor.

So it sounds like you are depending on a 3rd party to do something "right". That does make me nervous. Maybe another reason to not be too upset about having an actual spare.

15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay...you guys are talking me out of it....Viva La Spare!

I probably should practice changing a tire.....it's luckily been decades since I have had to do so.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the big thing is the crummy jack, a solid base to put under it in case you're on soft ground and a long pipe for leveraging the lugs if the dealer used an air wrench to put them on. oh, and wheel chocks.

17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently bought a small trolley jack and have a few pieces of flat timber in the boot instead of the crappy scissors jack, which I really don't trust.

It's a control thing to me, I like to be able to deal with a flat as quickly as possible rather than rely on someone/something else

18. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With some practice no more than 10 minutes :) Recently I've changed all my four wheels from summer to winter in 50 minutes with the scissors jack. Of course I've chosen good condition, no rain, no snow, during the daylight on my driveway and NOT in hurry :) I wonder if I may try to gain additional skills like the guy below :D
    1337878992_by_Sh3dy_inner.gif

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Go to the carpet section at a home improvement store and buy a roll of padding. It's cheap. Cut it to fit and if you want it more permanent, apply with some 3M spray adhesive. Warning: that 3M stuff works very well and the padding will stick instantly. In the bath tub section, look for a plastic shower barrier that comes in a roll. Cut it to fit and lay over the padding. It will take a few days to out gas. Total costs: under $30.

You can probably sell your spare in a flash here on the forum.

20. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am looking for a ready made carpet liner for the spare tire well. I guess I could just make one. Some drake grey carpet , carpet pad and some spray glue would do the trick. I just went grocery shopping today and the extra deep cargo area was nice. I bet my dog could hang out back there too. Maybe one of those kidney bean shaped dog beds and some carpet could be a quick and dirty tire well liner. I'm capable of making a good carpet liner but I'm more interested in spending free time with family or doing other fun stuff.