1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare tire delete

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mr.Electric, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Runflats are a terrible expensive alternative. I'm a guy that will just change a flat in 5-10 minutes, get it repaired and get on with it. Costs about 10-15 for the repair.

2. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer to deal with a plug kit than slime + aftermarket compressor. If my wife gets stuck and cannot install a plug, myself or a flat bed tow truck can be called.

3. Jose456891

Jose456891 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go to Home Depot/Hardware Store and get spray on foam!

It does wonders in cars without insulation in the door crevices or trunk.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whatever you do, keep in mind some day it'll be trade-in time. Try to make your mod's reversable, or there'll be a "what the heck is this" moment, when the potential buyer looks in there.

You could just leave the spare in there... ;)

There are plug-in owners who would kill for a spare, LOL.

5. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good point.
    I'm cruising with the top carpet cover off for now and it is nice. The cargo area is a bit deeper and my stuff sits in the back better without rolling around as much.
    This whole thing started when I read that the honda fit has significantly more cargo space despite the fact that it is shorter.
    I don't want to have to borrow my wife's fit to grab a bunch of stuff at Costco.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda Fit Automatics lost the spare, the manuals did not. I think they needed to lighten the automatic to sneak them over the cusp, into a better fuel economy category. We were entertaining getting an automatic Fit at one time, and for sure I would have caved and payed for the temp spare. It would fit, it was purely to lessen weight.

Personally, if I had a temp spare, I would never leave it at home, because sure as shooting, LOL...