1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare Tire for 2019 Prius Limited

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jeff Gold, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If Toyota's deleted the threaded hole that's nuts! :mad:

I think you could install a RivNut there anyway. Looks like it would be in that square depression for sure, but verify.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  2. strike3

strike3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    On my L Eco, there is no threaded center hole. I used a strap between the d-ring tie downs to secure the spare.

3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    :eek:

My 2019 L Eco has the threaded hole. (plus two more threaded holes on the cross-member that goes behind the rear seats that I used to bolt in a board down as a forward floor support)

I wonder if this was cost savings on the 2020 by deleting the hole?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A premeditated move to discourage retrofitting spare?

5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    If so, I hope it opens them up for a class action lawsuit. As used vehicles a few years down the road, people aren't going to want to pay for a 'subscription service' - which is exactly the ploy Toyota used to con us into buying 24/7 roadside assistance when the truth is that the roadside assistance shut down during the Covid scare, and was shut out during riots / protests. Effectively, they sold a feature/service they could not provide.

Having the kit loose in the back could lead to injury or death during a roll-over event (not that strike3 has his loose, but others will).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have an extra foam insert from my 2016 Prius 3 (had a spare) that should be usable in a later Prius W/O a spare (not an AWD-e as the rear inverter is in the way). I also have the screw down spare holder (it shouldn't be difficult for a body shop to weld in a bracket for the hold down). As a note: my dealer had access to a complete spare tire kit for a 2020 and was willing to install one (for a price) until they realized that it wouldn't work in an AWD-e. PM me if anyone is interested.

JeffD

krmcg likes this.