1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare tire pressure when it is on the road

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by toyolover, Jul 11, 2013.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Does any one know what should be the correct tire pressure on the spare when it is running on the road? Still at 60psi as the maximum marking or deflate it to the same as the regular tire +/- 32psi?

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After rotating tires, all tires on the vehicle should be at the same exact pressure. For any one tire to be at a different pressure may cause an unsafe driving condition.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The spare dount is to be at 60psi, If front tire is flat you will need to but the spare dount on back of the car, so you can put the rear tire on front of the car. The front tires need to be the same size. Then drive slowly to the nearest repair shop and get the tire fixed.

kc5dlo and ForestBeekeeper like this.
  4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely 60PSI. at 32PSI you will have a blow out. Higher pressure is needed to compensate for the smaller size.

kc5dlo and toyolover like this.
  5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Is your answer referring to my specific question of "when the spare tire is on the road"?
    What you are saying is: when I have 3 regular tires on three corners and the donut tire on one corner, I should deflate the donut tire pressure from the 60psi to match the other three corners?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The temporary spare should be at 60 psi when in storage, and just leave it at that pressure if and when you use it.

ForestBeekeeper and toyolover like this.
  7. heyjack70

heyjack70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If i want to buy a regular tire to use as the spare, will all 2010-2013 wheels interchange? Will the regular wheel/tire fit into the spare storage space?

8. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

When you rotate your tires, that normally means that the spare comes out and is rotated with the other tires.

But when you have a flat and use an emergency donut, that donut tire is entirely different. The donut is supposed to be inflated to a much higher pressure when it is used, and it is only to be driven for as short a distance as possible, until you mount a new tire.

A donut is not a true spare tire, it is for emergency use only.

Say that you have five regular tires, four running and one as spare. Every 5k miles you are supposed to rotate them. In this rotation, the spare comes out as is used. While one of the running tires becomes the spare.

If on the other hand, you use a donut. That donut is only for emergency use, for short distances. Until you can get a regular tire.

9. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Yes, yes.

Regular tires can be used as the spare.

10. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I actually keep my spare in the well at about 70PSI. I only check them once every 4-6 months. The extra pressure is to guard against nature leaks and temp change. It is easy to bleed it down to 60 from 70 PSI when I need it, than to drive on one with 50PSI and looking for a pump.

kc5dlo likes this.
  11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A "regular tyre" will not fit in the spare well. Try it. Some have jammed one in there by deflating it. It's too bad because, while it would increase vehicle weight, I'd like to have a "real" spare tyre. This could also be engineered to include a TPMS sensor, which the spare doesn't have currently. In fact it's rare to find a TPMS on the market that will accept 5 sensors.

The "donut" spare is to be run at full pressure indicated on the sidewall, 60 PSI in this case. It is to be used on the rear only, at speeds of 50 MPH or less, for a distance of 60 mi. or less. RTFM! ;)

12. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for your clarification. When I said "spare" in my thread, I meant the donut spare in the trunk. So the conclusion here is: Maximum indicated on the marking is 60psi, it is also the operating psi when it is being used on the road."

13. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Correct! (y)

14. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all!

Mine was at 10 psi.. after 196,500 miles I had never checked it. 60 psi it is.

Mendel Leisk and kc5dlo like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good thing you didn't get a flat at the location in your avatar, lol. And kudos for the belated pressure check. That reminds me...

16. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m so glad I checked it.. I’ll be doing that at every oil change going forward.

Check out my post on my 200,000 “tune-up”. I’m about to have some fun!