1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare tire question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PRwanting, Jun 23, 2013.

1. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last friday I was on Masspike and all of a sudden I heard a weird noise. So I stopped on the side of the highway and found out my right rear tire was gone. When I took it off I found the inner side wall of the tire has a hole in it. So I put on the donut, went to nearest sears and replaced the rear tires with new pair of tires. Now my question is can I take the wheel off the donut and put it on the other good tire and use that as a spare or do I need to buy another wheel? I ask that question because I figured if I ever get another flat again I can just use the good tire to drive around for a while before I have to get new tires.

2. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes you can. I will do it if I have an extra full size tire. The factory spare tire is for short distance(less than 50 miles driving to get a new tire) rolling only. So if you have a full size spare tire, you can do the tire shopping anytime later.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I doubt any reputable tyre fitter would put a full size tyre on the doughnut rim, as this is much narrower than the standard rim. Something the tyre was not designed for. You can however use a full size rim (wheel) with the tyre you have as a spare.

John (Britprius)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure the full size tyre would even fit on the donut. you can get a full size wheel at a breaker yard or ebay pretty cheap, but i'm not sure if that will fit in the spare area.

5. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone knows where can I get the wheel/wheel specs?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you the o/p? do you have two screen names? you can probably get specs from the parts dept. at dealership.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You definitely need to buy another wheel for the good tire, if you wish to use that as a spare tire. However, note that the good tire mounted on the correct wheel most likely will not fit into the space allocated for the compact spare tire.

The compact spare tire is mounted on a 16" wheel and is very narrow. The 2005 Prius uses 15" wheels for the regular tires, which are wider than the compact spare.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Correct,

A full sized spare will not fit in the space designed for the donut spare. My full sized spare is in the back on top of the panel. I made a hold town bolt and wing nut through the panel for it. A tire cover is cheap. It is in the rear right corner, where the extra weight balances out the car, if it is most used by the driver alone.