1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare TPMS switch for EV mod button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by egg_salad, Dec 23, 2017.

1. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I've just done the EV mode mod. For the moment, I have a random momentary switch hanging off a piece of wire.

I'm considering the switch... I don't like the idea of doubling the cruise "cancel" button, as the Coastal Tech EV kit does. I don't care for the random momentary switches as done in the elearnaid.com kit, or the .pdf file I found on Prius Chat, as written by Evan Fusco.

I do have a spare TPMS switch from the junkyard. I haven't tested it to see if it's a "normally open" switch, but I believe it is.

(edit: having tested the spare TMPS switch, it is indeed normally open)

There's a spare cutout for it, right between the SKS and TPMS switches. That would put the EV button in a discreet, easy-to-reach location, but also render it impossible to hit by accident.

What say the hive mind of Prius Chat? Is this a good idea?

#1 egg_salad, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you will find the OEM location next to the steering column is a better place, it does need to be in a reasonably convenient location. You should not be using very often, but, even so, you don't really want to be bending over to locate the switch. There should be blanks there, too.

3. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm having a tough time finding a switch I like for the factory location. The "proper" switch for a G2 (the one the rest of the world used) is either hard to find or ridiculously expensive.

The switch from the Prius C looks like it might fit. Or maybe not. There's no way of knowing, aside from buying one. Sadly, the switch cutout in a G2 Prius is different from every other switch used in every other Toyota, which makes me sad.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the TPMS switch is the same form factor as the SKS switch, what about just cutting the right sized hole in the blank where the OEM EV switch would go?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's certainly worth a go, thanks for the idea!