1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark plug change hack.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alanwagen, Mar 31, 2024.

1. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No effing way but this works. Being a Toyota family, I changed the spark plugs on my son's 15 Yaris.

Due to age and heat, the clips on one the wire connectors on the coil pack broke. Apparently a very common thing.

Although redundant as the fiction alone holds the connector, I found this awesome hack to re-clip the connector back on.

You will thank me for this as I tried it and it works. All it takes is one medium cable tie. BTW, I used NGK Laser Iridiums which what was in it with no anti-seize as the threads are trivalent coated.

Watch the video.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hire the crew for the injector - ya mon

Good tip

#2 rjparker, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    alanwagen likes this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ya mon - Nice hack!!!!

The trick is not to break the clip in the first place. I always hit the connectors with a heat gun or hair dryer for a minute. This softens the plastic and I use a small screwdriver tip to release the clip. Also put some dielectric grease on and inside those connectors. If you ever have to take them out again, they'll slide right out.

Hope this helps.....

alanwagen likes this.