1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark Plug Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2009Prius, Aug 26, 2010.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Finally got time to work on the spark plugs on Pearl. Was worried they might corrode into place, so I loosened them a few turns and re-tightened them. You need a small spark plug socket (5/8"), a short extension (about 2 3/4") and a universal joint, all 3/8 drive, along with a 3/8 drive ratchet.
    Remove the relay box on the firewall (two bolts).
    Remove the one bolt that holds the coil on the head.
    Carefully pull and slightly twist the coil to get it to come off. Some of them are tight to get off (firewall is close) but they all come out.
    Place u-joint on plug socket, then extension on u-joint. Lower into the hole, and turn until it "locks onto" the plug. Then install the ratchet and carefully unscrew (ccw) the plug. Do be careful to insert the various tools so the balls that hold them together go into the holes provided. You will need as much force as possible to hold the assembly together when you remove it from the head.
    You don't need to worry about cleaning out the cavity. It's pretty well sealed.
    If you want you can lubricate the rubber seals with silicone dielectric grease (it's good for rubber and provides additional water repellency) but it shouldn't be necessary.
    Use a -small- amount of copper anti-sieze on the plug threads if you like. I've used it on aluminum heads before with no problems.

I found the plugs turned as if there were sand on the threads (normal - so don't panic). I just loosened them a few turns and retightened them. You won't damage the plug to head seals if you don't tighten them too much. I've removed and re-installed the plugs on my 2-stroke motorcycles many times without damaging the seals.

If you do this every once in a while the plugs won't have a chance to corrode into place. It's an easy job, just take your time and be careful when inserting and removing the tools and the coils. The worst one for room is the right end (#4 I think).