1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark plug replacement - tools needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomiha, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Pink5owen

Pink5owen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. :)

2. Pink5owen

Pink5owen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your right, it says, "trivalent metal plating provides superior anti corrosion & anti seizing properties". In short, I don't need to put anti seize on it. Thank you 2009Prius. :)

3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Told ya.

DROID RAZR ? 4 Beta

Pink5owen likes this.
  4. Pink5owen

Pink5owen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just did it this morning. These are my spark plugs after 136,000 miles. image.jpg image.jpg

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, it's amazing how little wear the electrodes on those iridium plugs show after all those miles. I've got my new plugs here ready to go in next time I give it a service, just gotta wait for a nice warm day to do it.

BTW. I'm impressed that you got them changed out without breaking a nail. :cool:

2004priusgal and Pink5owen like this.
  6. Highmiles

Highmiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to all who posted pics and advise. Waited a little longer than most. Just changed mine on the '08, at 222,800 miles. Plugs looked pretty worn. Test run was a success, now for another 70,000 then I'll do it again.

boppo likes this.
  7. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd love to see a picture of those "pretty worn" plugs.

8. xyzzy42

xyzzy42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just changed one of mine, '05 with 68k on it. I removed the wiper cowling and pan, changed the PCV valve, cleaned the wiper drain pan (good thing, as the two drains in the bottom were totally plugged), and inspected the plugs and ignitors. The '05 has the defect TSB where the wiper cowling leaks onto the engine. The rightmost plug was all rusty so I replaced it. The other ones seemed fine.

Bad plug Plug Hole Bad.JPG vs good plug Plug Hole Good.jpg

The bad plug once removed:
    Plug Bad.jpg

I suggest that if you see the plugs are rusty, try to get the debris out before removing the plug. I vacuumed before removing the plug, but a lot more rust was broken free when I removed the plug and fell into the cylinder. I think it would be better to loosen the plug a few turns, vacuum around it, and then remove it the rest of the way.

I think I got most of the debris out of the cylinder by taping a small rare-earth magnet to the end of a long 1/4" socket extension that would fit down through the hole into the cylinder.
    Plug Hole Empty.jpg

If your spark plug socket has a rubber ring to hold the plug in place, make sure it's still in the socket when you're done and not still on the plug.

9. northcoaster

northcoaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd never advise putting something into a cylinder to get out some rust or debris unless absolutely necessary but instead would suggest getting some clear tubing that fit into the spark plug hole with room to move it around and tape that to a vacuum, the difference in aperture size from the vacuum to the tubing (it would need be tough enough not to collapse from the vacuum suction, got some in my garage) the difference to create quite a suction and should be able to suck out the smaller pieces and be able to lift out any large ones. What if that magnetic came off and stuck to the cylinder wall or piston? Head job?

10. xyzzy42

xyzzy42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I tested it first by sticking it some pieces of iron and seeing if the magnet will rip through the tape. It was clear that it wasn't going to come off. I'm not sure if the vacuum would work all that well. The locations of oil spots on the garage floor are easy to see after I vacuum up sawdust, as the sawdust doesn't get picked up at all where the spot is.

11. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Northcoaster, how'd you take those pictures of the spark plug wells?

12. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for sharing! This post along with others on the same topic helped a lot!

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I appreciate this is 3~4 year old posting, but just a tip:

I had debris in a spark plug well, and what I did was hacksaw just the thread portion off an old plug, and jam/glue a wooden dowel on the end. Then reach that down, screw it in a few turns, then you can freely blow air in there without fear of getting debris into the cylinders. Much narrower than a whole spark plug, it allows you to get the air in and debris out without restriction.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or, use a vacuum to suck out any dirt?

15. Senchronize

Senchronize Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doing mine soon, you guys think replacing one plug a time will work with the wiring scheme? Or take all out first and replace them all together?

16. AndyZaa

AndyZaa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on the swivel magnetic socket - I purchased the GearWrench equivalent (same price) and it made the job MUCH easier. Thanks for the tip!