1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark plugs shot at 38,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zembu, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like your engine oil may be overfilled as much as 1 quart. The engine oil level should be checked 5 minutes after the car is IG-OFF and parked on level ground.

From your photos it looks like the spark plug tips are totally carbonized. The porcelain insulator at the tip is white when new and should be slightly tan when the plugs are worn. So it was reasonable for the spark plugs to be replaced now.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get some aquarium tubing ($3 at petsmart) that fits in your dipstick hole. Stuff it down in there and suck on it until it almost gets in your mouth. Then place the other end of the tube in a vessel that is lower down than the lowest point the hose is inserted to. i.e. stick a cup on the ground and drain it into that. Wait 2-3 hours depending on how much oil you want out of there.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    careful not to drink any!

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those plugs look fine to me! however they are quite carboned up. Is the engine running rich or is that US fuel?? In my experience those plugs would be almost clean on our fuel.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If I were you I would

1. Follow Patrick's instruction (park on level ground, wait at least 5 minutes) to make sure the oil is really overfilled that much.

2. Take photo of the dipstick showing the level of overfilling. (Post here for us to see would be nice too.)

3. Bring car to nearest dealer to have the overfilling witnessed and documented in writing, and excess oil removed.

4. Complain directly to Toyota with all the details (photo of dipstick and receipts from all dealers).

5. Sit back and relax and don't put too much hope on Toyota doing anything about it.